The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RedHat Enterprise 3.0 support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SupermanInNY, Nov 12, 2003.

1. SupermanInNY

SupermanInNY Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I just found that (was posted only few hours ago):

cpanel-redhat-enterprise3-install.sea (Tue Nov 11 22:15:59 2003)

http://layer1.cpanel.net/cpanel-redhat-enterprise3-install.sea

My question is as follow:

I want to use RedHat 9 until the last minute possible (we still have about half a year to go) and I don't have a real added value that I can point a finger to and say that I need the RedHat ES version yet.

I do need to upgrade the kernel in RH9 from the original 2.4.20 to 2.4.21 or 2.4.22 to support my new hardware and my question is: Does cPanel require or have a need for a specific kernel? Does it care? Will I experience any issues?

I have not purchased the control panel yet, and before I go to great length of attempts, I want to be sure that I'm ready with my system to meet the needs of cPanel.

Also, planning ahead for the partitioning of the system, I'm going to have 4 HD (3 of them in a RAID-5 HotSwap and one used as the boot drive).

cPanel suggest the following scheme:

My system is going to have 240GB of space on the RAID
    (120GBX2+1X120GB) plus the boot drive is also 120GB.
    Obviously I have lots of space to run and I would love to hear suggestions on how to partition the space accordingly and where to place the different partitions.
    /home is definatly going to be on the RAID as well as swap.
    The question is, where would I place the /usr and /var.
    /tmp I think I'll place on the RAID (I'm open to change that if I need).
    Nothing is configured as of yet as I've just assembled the parts together and installed RH9. I'm in the meadst of recompiling the kernel for RH9 to accomodate the RAID-5 card and have not partitioned the RAID or even the boot drive to make anything meaningful. I don't care to start from scratch (only an hour and 20 minutes to load RH9 with FULL install which is obviously not needed for a server).

I know I loaded alot of info here, but I want to do it right the first time I'm actually going to run.

Thanks for your comments about this.

-Alon