The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redhat Enterprise, High loads, Everything failing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Finkinstein, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Finkinstein

Finkinstein Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

This is a bit of a long post but i am desperate right now.

For the last few days we have been unable to keep the server up for more than a few hours at a time. A whole range of services on this server have been failing but it appear to be linked to Apache. The load of the server will go down when apache is restarted and then get progressively higher. It almost seems as though processes are not getting closed properly.

It only did it once a day at first but now it is constant. We seem to have a permenantly high iowait and i have a feeling mySQL may have something to do with it. In the sql process list only a few threads will be visible and then every so often it will give the full list.

We do have one large forum, 50 users online max, hosted but this is well optimized and doesn't appear to be the cause. my.cnf is optimized, as is httpd.conf.

When running top the highest process is top itself, as with ps. It also shows that very few processes are actually running and there are more than 150 sleeping, even after just 5 minutes of being up.

Server Specs:

Intel P4 2.8
    512mb ram

Redhat Enterprise Linux (Perhaps something to do with it?)
    -------> Kernel Version 2.4.21-9.0.1.EL

WHM 8.8.0 & cPanel 8.8.0-S74

Apache 1.3.29

mySQL 4.0.15

Any other info can be provided.

I am grateful to anyone who even bothered to read this, let alone suggest something. Thank you all for your time.

Sam Bell

2. bert

bert Well-Known Member

Sam,

Stock kernels are usually not the best to run. Try upgrading your kernel to 2.4.25 to see if that helps.

3. danielaugustus

danielaugustus Well-Known Member

Same problem, my company lost 300 customers week .... :/

The apache problem is general ...... With RedHAt Enterprise on a SMP kernel .... Some guys say they dont have the problem. But every machine with this OS with SMP I got the error. Maybe is tha way kernel processes. I'm almost sure not, cause this is related to USR1 on apache. If fails with it. In fact it stops and dont come back.

4. 405

405 Registered

same problem here

4Xeon 1GB ram Kernel Version 2.4.21-4.0.1.ELsmp (SMP)
    same problem :(

Anybody tried the kernel update suggestion?

5. Finkinstein

Upgraded to 2.6.3 and loads been ok so far.. 17 hours in and no crashing :)

6. danielaugustus

Fink, can I call you this ? I would like to know something. I use almost the same machine. But my HD is SATA. Is yours too ? If yes could you tell me how you could boot into kernel 2.6.3 ? My system isnt booting up on 2.6.3, like not loadgin some module or so .

7. danielaugustus

I was one of the first guys on forum who said about RHE 3.0 problems with cPanel when you have SMP. There's another problem : USR1 on this systems. Nobody listened to me or talked that they used the same thing and system was fine.

Nick, himself, didnt listened to me on the topic. Then I got more erros, till I got upset and blamed everybody on forum. Now I am calm, but problem persists. Every time I came here, I see a new problem with RHE 3.0 x cpanel. you can look on forum.

waiting for corrections.... Waiting for somebody to talk. Maybe they are too busy on cpanel pro and cpanel 9 to look the BIG number of bugs being left behind.

You can make cpanel talk with the user, you can make it do EVERYTHING byt itself, but it will be nothing to users if it continue to have bugs.

8. LordJMann

LordJMann Well-Known Member

Are any of you with Server Matrix?

There is a kernel conflict between machines with hyperthreading and the new kernel. I had the exact same syptoms on my box, which is a P4 2.8 with Hyperthreading and they gave me a special kernel they made to avoid the problem.

Though if you are not with Server Matrix I would suggest downgrading your kernel, as this WILL fix the problem.

9. Game Wizards

Game Wizards Active Member

I'm with servermatrix, although they've been little use to me so far.

10. LordJMann

LordJMann Well-Known Member

Call their toll free 1-800 number for support. That is what I usually do.

11. Finkinstein

Hmm.. we're on 2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1smp and things seem ok(ish) now.

Yeh, we are with server matrix.

No more server crashes.. well, one yesterday but loads were fine.

Is there a problem with mysql and rhe 3?

12. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

We run RHE3 on single P4 boxes (no HT) and experience zero crashes using the stock kernels. We even use SATA RAID.

Definitely sounds like an issue with HT or SMP.

13. Finkinstein

We didnt even order HT.. just got it by mistake i think. Seemed like a nice present at the time.

14. jackal

jackal Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

We purchased 5 boxes from the planet, they came with 2.4.21 kernels. They could not control the load we seen loads of 185 to 200 on one box with only 40 users.
    They then upgraded to 2.6.3 and the load problems went away but now for the last 10 days we have memory problems it seems that boxes with mysql users have major problems it uses the memory and never releases it back.

They have now downgraded back to 2.4.21 and made some modifications to the virtual memory settings has ran for 2 days and the same problem memory becomes unusable this is the same on all 5 boxes.

Now get this we had 2.4 GHz 1 gig ram redhat 9 and we changed to these for "Get this better preformance" On the old machines we had no problems with load or memory at all. Nothing but problems with these for 10 days. Starting to wonder why we switched.

Do not know if they will ever get this fixed.

15. bert

bert Well-Known Member

The solution....

Stay away from RHEL :D

No, really! cPanel is not stable enough on RHEL yet. Nonetheless for a production box.

My $0.02

16. WeMasterz5

WeMasterz5 Well-Known Member

well I got one box from SM, dual pent4 2.8, 2 gig mem running
    WHM 9.1.0 cPanel 9.1.0-R85
    RedHat Enterprise 3 - WHM X v2.1.2

have not moved working sites there as of yet, couple of test sites...couple of things that I have seen is that when you use pico, it like dont close when you exit, I had 3 picos running and the cpu load jumped, killed the process and the load was fine... only other thing I have seen diff is that alot of stuff is not installed with this... no webmail??? what up with that

17. Rubas

Rubas Well-Known Member