The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RedHat Enterprise vs Fedora: which is better an why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AbeFroman, Jul 31, 2004.

1. AbeFroman

AbeFroman BANNED

RedHat Enterprise vs Fedora: besides cost which is better an why?

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Well.. personally, i'd go with enterprise. For one, it has a 5 year life cycle, rather than fedora which is 6 months ( not including legacy support ). If you need the support from redhat, go with enterprise. If you can do without the handholding, go with a RHEL rebuild such as www.CentOS.org.

If you want cutting edge and your comfortable with either 1. remote core upgrades ( not as easy as it sounds with fedora ), or 2. Getting a new box with a new fc core every 6 months to a year then migrating all the clients over. Go fedora. If you want stability and and decent performance, go Enterprise.

3. chadi

chadi BANNED

What are you saying exactly about Fedora? That it must be updated (core) every 6 months?

How would you update the core exactly via ssh? Never done this before as I've just started with Fedora recently.

4. OCX

OCX Well-Known Member

i personaly will always use RHE over any webhost os..
    its stable..always updated and all the cookies n milk to go with it.. :)

at home i use SuSE 9.1 pro 64bit

5. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Have you not done any research on the OS you chose before hand? Core upgrades can be done via yum or apt-get, however its NOT advised to do so with fedora because of all the drastic changes. As you have chosen to go with a development OS ( fedora ) one would only assume you would have a very decent working knowledge of such things.

6. Jeff-C

Jeff-C Well-Known Member

RedHat Enterprise is far better for hosting. Why? Uptime.

RedHat Enterprise is fundamentally about stability with a 5-year lifespan. Security patches and bug patches are back ported into software which is tried and tested and proven to work well together.

Fedora is about new development with a 6-month lifespan. Fixes will be integrated with new technology, which could have issues of its own. Plus, the focus is on the new technology, not the smoothness and ease of upgrading.

For a server where people are counting on web sites being up, I'd prefer stability any day.

For a home test system where if something goes wrong during an upgrade and I have to pop in a CD and start from scratch, it's no big deal, Fedora is intersting to play with and use while seeing what's new. But not for a system where uptime is important and I have to do things remotely.