Redhat has retired MySQL 5 in favor of Mariadb. Recommend using Mariadb 5 or above???

craigedmonds

Oct 29, 2007
Europe
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I have just leased a new server and it has centos 7.2 installed and seems to have mysql installed and I am trying to install a piece of firewall software and get the error message...

package MySQL-server is not installed
package MySQL51-server is not installed
package MySQL55-server is not installed
MySQL56-server-5.6.29-1.cp1148.x86_64
Error: MySQL is not supported on EL7.
Redhat has retired MySQL 5 in favor of Mariadb.
Recommend using Mariadb 5 or above.
Exiting...

The software vendor has unhelpfully said "Yes, you will need to switch to the database supported by the OS vendor, in your case that is MariaDB. Redhat has replaced mysql with mariadb. Mariadb is supported with cpanel".

What happens if I switch to MariaDB? Is mysql gone? Can I run my wordpress sites as usual?

Whats going on?????

cotswoldphoto

Feb 20, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have been using all my WordPress sites on Mariadb 10 for over a year now. Also, make sure your default engine is innodb, and convert any tables that aren't. Innodb does not corrupt anywhere as much as MyIsam.

craigedmonds

Oct 29, 2007
Europe
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
So I am pretty safe to simply switch to mariadb?

None of my users will turn around and say "oh no...you dont have mysql!!!!! This is bad!!!"

I run a shared hosting service so just a little concerned that user might complain about not having the availability of mysql.

Just wondering if I should reinstall the server to centos 6.

kernow

Jul 23, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
After updating to mariadb through WHM you should check your /etc/my.cnf as the cpanel upgrade script has an irritating habit of adding:
Code:
default-storage-engine=MyISAM
Iritating because the default engine for mariadb is innodb which is better/faster

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
So I am pretty safe to simply switch to mariadb?

None of my users will turn around and say "oh no...you dont have mysql!!!!! This is bad!!!"

I run a shared hosting service so just a little concerned that user might complain about not having the availability of mysql.

Just wondering if I should reinstall the server to centos 6.
Hello :)

This is an upgrade that does not require manual intervention from your users. We have a document that explains the process at:

MySQL/MariaDB Upgrade - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.