Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Redhat -> Trustix Migration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AQHost, Sep 17, 2004.

1. AQHost

AQHost Active Member

Has anyone tried migrating accounts from a Redhat box to a Trustix ES box using WHM's account transfer feature? I may want to migrate a few users but I'm not sure if there would be any issues with file system differences, the different cron manager, etc etc.

Simon.

2. amard

amard Well-Known Member

Hi Simon,

Trustix ES 2.0 was originally a branch off of RedHat, so I doubt that they've made any drastic system structure alterations, just a more secure and server orrientated OS.

:)

3. AQHost

AQHost Active Member

Hi Amard,

Thanks for your reply. Having installed the trial version of Trustix/cpanel on a test box I can see that you're right - the file structure is exactly the same. Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of bugs in the Trustix/cPanel combination (disk quotas don't work at all, FTP users aren't chrooted when pure-ftpd is used, syslogd fails constantly, and other things of that ilk) so it's not quite ready for prime time yet. Shame as it represents a good cost saving.

Thanks again,
    Simon.

4. amard

amard Well-Known Member

That sounds pretty serious, you should submit a high priority CPanel Trouble Ticket. Would be pretty embarrasing for CPanel and Trustix after their press release, to find out that the solution they're promoting doesn't work properly.

:)

Rob

5. AQHost

AQHost Active Member

Already submitted to support and they say that it's being worked on. Hopefully they'll get it sorted fairly soon as the idea of cPanel on a fully supported, more secure, and less bloated OS is an appealing one.

On the upside I have to say that the response was pretty quick - less than 15 minutes on a Friday night.

Simon.