Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

redirect a parked domain to an add-on domain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doeskin, Dec 14, 2005.

1. doeskin

doeskin Registered

hi all,

is it possible to redirect a parked domain to an add-on domain? the only way i can seem to do this is create 2 add-on domains and redirect one to the other - within the add-on domains section. can't find anywhere else to do this...

thanks,

ben

2. GTFO

GTFO Active Member

Possibly using mod_rewrite rules or perhaps even a php redirect.

Alternatively, if your just trying to give an alias to an add-on domain/pointer, this can only be done in the webhost manager. Under DNS, their is a "Park domain" option, click on it, find the pointer park it.. tadow.

3. doeskin

doeskin Registered

thanks GTFO. it just seems a little silly that you have to specify 2 add-on domains just to a secondary domain to the first one. the park option under dns, just gave me an error...
    Sorry [] is not a valid domain name. i wonder. i'll try using a php redirect or something... its times like these i wish i had just stuck with my dedicated, linux, hand configured, non cpanel server... cheers...

4. GTFO

GTFO Active Member

Id recommend trying the parked domains option again, i've done this on add-on domains many times in the past with success. Make sure that your specifying the domain name in the box on the right, and also, I believe your supposed to park it on the sub-domain for your addon domain rather than the actual domain name for your addon domain. Give that a try.

Alternatively
    1. create a dns record for it
    2. add a "serveralias domain.com www.domain.com " entry to subdomain entry in the httpd.conf
    3. add the domain name to /var/cpanel/users/username in a DNS#=domain.com entry
    4. add the domain to /etc/localdomains
    5. touch a file "domain.com in /etc/valiases/ and add "*: username" to it

I believe those are all the entries it makes...

" its times like these i wish i had just stuck with my dedicated, linux, hand configured, non cpanel server... cheers..." .. Their are far worse things out their than cpanel.. (plesk)