The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redirect (fetch) only webpage on other server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by padalec, Sep 18, 2012.

1. padalec

padalec Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I'm developing a new site for my client. This website is on my server, but my client has an old webpage on another server, with all email accounts and other settings.

I want to set up (in cpanel) that my clients old server fetches (or redirects) only a webpage to my server leaving all other setting as they are. I know that this has something to do with Advanced DNS Zone Editor, but by now I didn't find any help.

I'm attaching a screenshot of cpanel DNS zone editor settings on old sever.
    Capture.JPG
    Thank you.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can update the "A" record for the domain name or a subdomain to the IP address that is assigned to the account on the destination server.

Thank you.

3. padalec

padalec Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Thank you for your help!

This won't affect any settings of email accounts?

and I have another question.

I suppose that on my server the domain name in WHM should be set also?

#3 padalec, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This would actually impact the mail if the MX has been set to the domain name. I don't see the MX listed, so it's difficult to know what's been done there.

To ensure mail stays on the source server, set the MX to mail.domain.com and set mail.domain.com to the old server's A record.

Also, by a webpage, you mean the entire website should go to the new server, right? You don't mean just one webpage?

As for setting the domain in WHM, you'll need to setup a new account in WHM > Account Functions > Create a New Account area if you want the site to work on the new server. Otherwise, you'd have to add the domain as an addon domain to another account. However you do it, ensure that the domain is set to Remote Mail Exchanger so that it is listed in /etc/remotedomains on the new server so that all emails still get handled by the old server.

Another area to keep in mind is FTP. If the user is using ftp.domain.com for connecting to FTP, you'd need to decide if you want FTP to be on the old server or the new one for the A record IP. Since the site itself would be on the new server, you'd probably want to set FTP on the old server to point to the new one. There's little point having files uploaded to the old server if the site is going to be on the new one.