The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redirect Http to Https

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by billau, Jul 31, 2004.

1. billau

billau Well-Known Member

You should modify the following setting's on httpd.conf under your virtual host entry:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/(.*)
    RewriteRule ^/icons/(.+) - [PT,L]
    RewriteRule ^/(.*)https://www.domain.com.au$1 [R,L]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1 billau, Jul 31, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2004
  2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Bill.
    Just haven't figured out the meaning for all of your command posts. Am I missing something? Are you trying to boost your post count or?? :eek:

3. billau

billau Well-Known Member

You have mistaken my posts. I am a strong supporter and follower of Cpanel and I really wanted to educate all the Cpanel users when they face issues.

Iam just giving info whatever I know, That's it and nothing to do with increasing my posts.

4. billau

billau Well-Known Member

I am not spamming your server. Please don't read out my posts if you are not intrested.I am with Cpanel 4+ years and managing around 75 Cpanel servers. May i ask what bothers you if I post. I work for the top 10 webhosts in Australia / New-Zealand.

Any new comers can learn and fix the issue immediately if they see my posts. If I post all the issues in a single post, newbies will not understand. it's better you NOT to open my threads at any cost.

5. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Problem is you're repeating things that simple searches can find and some of your posts are either flawed or a just plain incorrect. Let alone some of the most clugiest ways of doing things.

6. billau

billau Well-Known Member

Well, if you think it is incorrect, why don't you correct, all the threads which we have posted are tested in live servers and I didn't have any problems so far.

7. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't recall seeing any other forums where people just arbitrarily post commands or fixes for problems that no one has asked about. Under that theory a user can/could post the whole Linux command line reference when a simple look up would do the trick. I know for a fact that your Mail Scanner post is redundant as there is a long running update thread by another member on that very topic.
    It also is not up to the members of this "Unmoderated" forum to go line by line to correct posts that are possibly inaccurate.
    My original post was not to assume that you were some noob just trying to up their post count but rather to get your attention about what some of us see as unnecessary posts.
    Hopefully you will take the advice of the other more senior members than myself in regards to this matter.
    I see that you have asked for a clarification from Nick. Will wait and see if you get an answer.

8. OCX

OCX Well-Known Member

what people are saying man..post 1 thread and list your HOW TOS

example

CPANEL HOW TO's
    ---------------------------
    list how to
    list how to
    list how to
    list how to
    list how to
    list how to
    list how to
    list how to

rather then creating a new thread for every post..
    makes it easyer to follow..

9. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

That would be terrible. That thread would be hard to read through and confusing once the updates/corrections came in. I do not have a problem with billau's posts. Some of them seem (I haven't looked all that closely) to be manually describing procedures that on a cpanel server could be more easily accomplished using a builtin script and some of them aren't exactly correct (the gallery install of netpbm only installs the tools used by gallery installations).

billau, I do think you should make an effort to search for threads containing the steps you describe before posting. If you find one, it would be better that you contribute to it (in much the same way that I hope to see members posting corrections/advice to some of your threads). If you do not find one, then by all means post away. I do not think it is spam. You are simply contributing to the overall knowledgebase found in these forums, much the same way that Squirrel posted a dozen or so "creampuffs" :p in the new users section when it first came online. the phantom has been known to do it as well (you know your howtos are not all posted in the same thread! ;) ), except those threads usually point to another site.

10. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with SarcNBit here. Nothing wrong with posting how-to's as long as they are done correctly.

As sawbuck said though, just posting how to do anything can quickly become a lot of unneeded posts. As long as the how-to's have been asked for in the past, there's nothing wrong with posting them.

11. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    All the more reason this forum needs an actual howto area like we have. All the Howtos get moved to an area just for them.

12. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Of course then you will have to deal with all of the posters who assume a HOWTO forum is where you are supposed to ask your HOWDOYOU? questions.

13. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

That would be a good idea but could get confusing since pretty much all posts here are "how to" about one thing or another.

Sometimes it gets confusing seperating forums. :rolleyes:

14. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Which is another reason these forums need moderators!

15. ctechsol

ctechsol Member

I personally appreciate what he is doing. He is not making posts that post useless info. He is actually, in fact, posting hot-to's that have worked for him. And as far as I am concerned are topic related. My .02c

16. Snowman30

Snowman30 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Ive tried this and other ways to get http to redirect to https without causing problems and i cant get any of them to work....

anyone else got any suggestions???

17. d-woo

d-woo Well-Known Member