Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Redirect old domain to new require a separate cPanel account?

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by Mangoose, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Mangoose

Mangoose Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Suppose you had a client who's store previously ran on CFML (Adobe Coldfusion Application Webserver with Windows 2008 R2 and IIS) and the new runs an PHP. The former store ran under olddomainname.com and the new PHP store runs on newdomainname.com.

You would want to redirect the customers who look for the old domain name and redirect them to the new store of the client.

Does it require you to setup a separate Cpanel account to host just a .htaccess file with
    IfModule mod_rewrite into it and change at the domain registrar or dns level point the old domainname to the dedicated IP of the new store ?

I am fully open for suggestions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Mangoose, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2017
  2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

You can use the Windows IIS redirect feature to redirect the old domain to the new one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mangoose

Mangoose Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Having IIS redirect is not longer an option. The Windows Server is gone and so is the old store based upon CFML. What remains is the old domain name is still very familiar to the old folk that still refer to the old domain name. In previous workarounds I set up a separate Cpanel account to facilitate the redirect via an .htaccess file. I just wonder if that is the only option I have.

4. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. Mangoose

Mangoose Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, indeed this is the documentation I was looking for. Thanks.
    The problem I see is what to do next.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

If you add the new domain name as an alias, you could then setup a custom .htaccess rule to redirect all redirects from the old domain name to the new domain name.

Thank you.

7. Mangoose

Mangoose Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Michael,

If I add the new domain as an alias should do anything else beside a .htaccess rule ? What about parking a domain on the server is that not an option ?

Regards

8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You do not have to take any additional steps after adding the domain name as an alias, other than setting up those custom redirect rules in your .htaccess file. The redirect rules are not actually required unless you want to ensure the domain name that appears in the browser address bar is updated to match the new domain name.

Thank you.