The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redirect question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by joegilland, Oct 12, 2015.

1. joegilland

joegilland Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Good day everyone,

I have two quick questions regarding redirects. I've worked with Unix/Linux based systems, my background lies mostly on the Windows side of the house and working with IIS, so cPanel is a new product for me.

Question 1
    I've read a few posts here in the forum about how to setup a redirect for example.com to example2.com. One camp references using the cPanel Redirects area to configure the redirect, while the other references editing the .htaccess file. Is one method better than another or do both accomplish the same results?

Question 2
    While I was out on vacation last week, our vendor configured redirects via cPanel's Redirect area. This resulted in over 585 redirects listed in the Current Redirects area. In my experience, a redirect is configured for *.example.com to forward to *.example2.com. Everything would be forwarded in a single entry, not 585+ entries. Is this normal behavior for cPanel or is this perhaps misconfigured?

Thank you very much for your time and wisdom!

-Joe

Attached Files:

#1 joegilland, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can use the "Redirects" option in cPanel (it modifies the .htaccess file) unless you are attempting to redirect the website in a very specific way.

Could you verify the specific values you entered on the initial page under the "Redirects" option in cPanel?

Thank you.

3. joegilland

joegilland Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for your reply, Michael.

So there's no advantage or disadvantage to using either method.

I'm not certain what our vendor entered to generate the hundreds of entries for the redirects. Looking at the configuration, it appears that each one was entered or perhaps imported. I had someone suggest they may have created Old to New redirects for each page to maintain search engine rankings. It doesn't appear to be hurting anything, except from an administrative / housekeeping level. It just seems like overkill to me.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The redirects page will show you any existing redirects that are configured in the .htaccess file. Thus, if custom redirect rules were imported into the .htaccess file, that's why it shows those entries in the interface.

Thank you.

5. joegilland

joegilland Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks again, Michael. I appreciate your help!