The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redirecting Domain to file

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by takuhii, Jun 16, 2009.

1. takuhii

takuhii Member

Hi,
    I'm new and getting very confused by the redirect dialog in CPanel 11.

Basically I have a domain, darrenmackintosh.info and it is currently points at my site takuhii.co.cc (basic DNS setup, no redirects involved)

I want to be able to point it to a specific file within my domain, I realise that I currently have the domain name set up as a PARKED domain and this can be an issue, how ever when I try to set it up as an ADD-ON domain this requires a lot of information such as username and passwords and a location to point to.

I merely want it to point somewhere, is there an idiot proof guide to doing this?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Darren

#1 takuhii, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2009
  2. mattdmin

mattdmin Member

3. takuhii

takuhii Member

would that method make the address bar change in the browser?

4. mattdmin

mattdmin Member

Depends

Depending on what addy you redirected to, it could yes. Do you want it to?

As a rule of thumb, remember....since you are using darrenmackintosh.info as a parked domain on the account you utilize takuhii.co.cc or vise versa, these domains actually work the same location without redirection. If you type either into an addy bar you will be going to the same site correct? Well, if you utilize the redirect, you can point to either domain and have it appear whichever way you want, regardless you will still be in the same file/directory location you redirect to. For example, hit this site and see where it redirects you.

http://www.suncityinmesquite.com

5. InstaCarma_Tech

InstaCarma_Tech Well-Known Member

Yes. That method would probably change the address as well.
    By the way, making it as an add-on domain would be the best way to go about this and it is not that complicated really.
    Go to the add-on domains section in cPanel. When you put the domain name , the username and path should get auto filled. You can change the directory name as per your requirement. Put in a password and thats it!

6. takuhii

takuhii Member

Unfortunately NON of these solutions has worked for me, Firefox throws a hissy fit about the domain redirecting in a manner that will never resolve. Therefore I have written the HTACCESS by hand, and it works as I want it to...

7. mattdmin

mattdmin Member