The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redundant backup procedure?

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by LasseTK, Mar 31, 2010.

1. LasseTK

LasseTK Active Member

Hi,

I use remote backup via FTP on my servers. I have set it to do daily backup and to compress it. This means that I also HAVE to have weekly and monthly backup enabled for whatever the reason.

This is all good and runs very smoothly for most of the time. It takes about 6 - 7 hours for the server to do a complete backup, which is fine since this is during the night time.

Once every week (when the weekly backup is performed) it takes 14 hours for the backup to complete. This indicates that the entire backup procedure is run twice :confused:.

It gets even worse when the monthly backup is also run, then it takes no less than 21 hours for the backup to complete!! :eek:

It seems to me, that it is very stupid to extract all data, compress them and send them via FTP once for the daily and then delete all these files and start all over with the weekly and then to repeat this procedure for the monthly as well. This procedure has however been proven to be the one used by whm when I look in my server log. :(

Can anybody explain why the backup is run like that? This must be an issue for other users than me!?

If any body know a tweak to work around this redundant backup procedure, please let me know.

2. rlshosting

rlshosting Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I agree but I wish that the clients could upload .tgz files in cPanel instead of contacting support.

3. MikeDVB

MikeDVB Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC