The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redundant rsync at the end of the backup eats space and time

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by freedomizer, Nov 25, 2012.

1. freedomizer

freedomizer Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have all types of backups enabled via FTP: daily, weekly, monthly.

They take a long time (180GB) in /home.

According to today's backup log each account was successfully packed and uploaded 2 times via ftp once in /daily and once in /weekly.

However after finishing uploading each backup 2 times, now cpanel is running this script:
    which appears on top:
    thelog says:
    the size of the /home/cpanel cpbackuptmp is 96GB
    rsync takes a long time

the question is why sync /home/cpbackuptmp/cpbackup/daily/ to /home/cpbackuptmp/cpbackup/weekly locally after all the accounts are already sent to the backup ftp server?

also why upload 2 times each file via ftp and not just copy the daily to weekly when applicable?

also look at log where it is clear the backup file is uploaded for each backup version:

2. freedomizer

freedomizer Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I found that /home/cpbackuptmp/cpbackup/ has files that can be safely erased so I did so -- not sure why these do not get cleaned up. There is still the problem of double or triple upload for daily-weekly-monthly backups