The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refuse *.ru emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by StevenD, May 9, 2010.

1. StevenD

StevenD Member

I have a cpanel server which there is never 'ever' going to be a need to have emails sent to or received from any russian .ru domains

On this server there is one particular domain which is around 14 yrs old, and unfortunatly it tends to recieve lots of attention from spammers, it constantly get emails sent to it from *.ru domains or people trying to send through it from *.ru domains.

How can I refuse any email, from any *@*.ru email address's or from any *.ru mail servers?

Thanks

2. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

You have many options at your disposal .....

You can force "Spamassassin" on all domain in "Exim Configuration" and then setup a "blacklist_from *@*.ru" in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf for server wide blocking or in the individual "user_pref" files.

You can setup an ACL filter in Exim or use the system mail filter

You can setup account level filters

You can setup GEOIP on the server and filter based on country location

You can deny host access to ".ru" domains (NOTE: increases server loads)

Really though you got dozens of ways to do this, take your pick ....

I would probably lean to the force Spamassain blacklist approach as it's very simple to setup and can help keep the spam down on the server while some of the other methods listed though could be used to trap both inbound and outbound mail communication with this TLD location.