Regenerate mailbox sizes without WHM access

akust0m

Feb 19, 2016
Melbourne
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I've got a cPanel account whereby the system user mailbox is reporting 1.5GB when in actual fact it is empty.

I know that you can use '/scripts/generate_maildirsize' if you have root access. However, is there any way to refresh or clear this incorrect usage value with cPanel level access only?

kennysamuerto

PartnerNOC
May 20, 2009
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Theoretically, if I remember correctly, cPanel recalculates these statistics every time the cron passes (I think I remember it is every night). I'm not completely sure, but I think it's like that.

akust0m

Feb 19, 2016
Melbourne
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Unfortunately, despite the nightly statistics cron, the system default mailbox is always incorrect. I remember this being a problem for a number of years on various accounts and the only way I knew to resolve it was by the user of '/scripts/generate_maildirsize' if I had root access.

cPanelAnthony

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 18, 2021
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello! I'm not sure of a cPanel-side way to fix this. However, the following article might help.

If these issues are happening consistently, would you be able to open a ticket using the link in my signature or ask your web hosting provider to do so? I believe this would warrant investigation if these mail account issues are happening often.

Handssler Lopez

Apr 30, 2019
Guatemala
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have seen this similar error.

- cPanel indicates that [email protected] has 1GB
- user uses Roundcube webmail
- user deletes everything there is inbox, sent, etc.
- cPanel indicates that the account is still 1GB after deletion.

** Possible solutions **
rounducube does not purge the mail (it only hides it), it is recommended to really delete everything from Horde webmail, this allows "Delete" and "Purge deleted"

- if everything was done correctly, it may be browser cache or internet service.

- Wait for the cPanel cron to recalculate the quota (generally this is immediately or wait a few minutes or at the end of the day depends on the configuration)

Reactions: cPanelAnthony