The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

registrar end WHAT!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eddie_d, Apr 24, 2012.

1. eddie_d

eddie_d Member

Hi,

My host has moved my site to a server with RVSitebuilder on and left me a message as follows:

"Please update the below given nameservers in your registrar end and allow few hours to propagate globally."

to which I replied where is the registrar end?

to which they replied

"You need to update the nameservers in your registrar end"

I think you can guess my question... where is the registrar end in Cpanel? I don't have access to WHM. is it just a case of put ns in DNS zone!

Help I am really stumped.

Regards

Eddie

2. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What they are referring to is updating the Domain Name Servers with the domain registrar. You will need to contact your domain registrar to get those updated.

3. eddie_d

eddie_d Member

Hi,

thank you for replying so quickly. shouldn't they do that? i'm not sure I know who the registrar is? I have had the site hosted with them eversince I moved it from tiscali.

Regards

Eddie

4. NetMantis

NetMantis BANNED

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    JoshDylan already answered but just to clarify more if it helps any ....

What you need to update is not in Cpanel!

Your host is talking about logging in at the company or place you purchased your domain name and updating the DNS servers that are associated with your domain name there at that location.

**EDIT** I see you posted you do not know who the registrar is. If you post your domain in this thread or send it to me private message (if you don't want your domain name made public), I'd be glad to look up your registrar for you and tell you who it is. You can also go to WHOIS.SC and lookup your domain there and it will also tell you your registrar info.

#4 NetMantis, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  5. NetMantis

NetMantis BANNED

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi Eddie:

I received your private message and already sent you email detailing the contact information for your current registrar so you can get those DNS servers updated as your hosting provider requested.

Unfortunately though your registrar is actually a domain reseller under Tucows but they should still be able to help you update your DNS server information.

From your message to me and conversation here, it sounds like the domain registrar reseller managing your domain is now owned by your hosting provider. If that is indeed the case, it might be a good time to also think about changing your domain registrations over to an actual real domain name registrar.

As a general rule, I don't recommend people registering domains and hosting with the same company.

Having your domain registration and hosting in the same place can open up a number of potential abuse issues and I have seen unethical hosting providers sometimes misuse that position. Plus, if your hosting provider were to simply get bought out by another company or just go out of business, it could make it difficult for you to keep control of your domain name if you registration were also through that same company.

The following is the official list of the actual real domain registrars and you could move your domain registration with any company shown in the following database and you could still keep your same hosting provider you have right now.

Domain Registrars: InterNIC Registrar Listing

The above moving registrars is of course just a suggestion but might be of some real benefit for you to consider.

6. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    NetMantis, you basically pointed out rule #1 of websites. Never have your domain registration and hosting with the same company. Its just an overall bad decision.