The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Registrar Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andyorourke, Aug 17, 2004.

1. andyorourke

andyorourke Member

I currently run 4 safelist (Opt-In mailing list) businesses, all on dedicated servers. One of them was recently shut down by the registrar I use because of email abuse. I assumed that they had received complaints from users who dont understand the safelist concept even though they have 'Read' the terms & conditions, or that one of the very few email account users I have had been spamming and had attracted complaints.

Firstly, they didnt contact me to tell me of the complaints, or that they were putting my domain in 'hold' status. Secondly, the department that deals with this stuff doesnt work weekends. so it seems I can have my business closed down without being able to defend myself.

Once I Finally managed to get through to the abuse department I got the following reply which confused me somewhat:

"As a result of your abusive activity, our email forwarding servers were
    completely clogged with your mail. Thousands and thousands of undeliverable
    or delayed mail. I can re-enable your domain, but you may not use email
    forwarding or POP mail for the activities that you are performing. Further
    abuse will result in the permanent disabling of your domain name and
    possibly your eNom account."

Now, I really dont understand why their email forwarding servers were clogged with my mail, the server I use is completely dedicated to the one domain, it has it's own POP3 and SMTP server and name server so I cant understand why the registrars mail servers were flooded with my mail.

If I receive an email to my server does it come through my registrars email servers first?

Any advice would be most welcome.

2. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Do all of the MX records for your domain point directly to your server?

3. andyorourke

andyorourke Member

I only have one mx record which points directly to my domain:

Monstermailz.com - 1440 - IN - MX - 0 - monstermailz.com

This is what I cant understand, I do not have a deep meaningful understanding of the awy the registrar works but I thought that since my domain name was registered with them, along with my nameserver IP's that any packets destined for my domain would come directly to my server. I havent used any of their servers to send any emails so why is the bounced mail coming back via their servers?

Confused, I am!

4. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

Do u have a dedicated server or just a hosting account ?