The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reinstall CPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by webbie_colt, Feb 15, 2010.

1. webbie_colt

webbie_colt Registered

Hi,

I am planning on going for cPanel WHM install, but I have a query. I have searched the forums and there does not seem to be a thread discussing my issue. This may seem like a stupid question, but I am a bit confused over the following matter.

My question is: " Is cPanel WHM license tied to the IP address or to the server machine? "

For example if I decide to change my static IP address do I have to go for another license, in addition to the one I already have?

I have assumed that if I want to change my computer, on the same IP, and decide to go in for a higher end machine, I will have to purchase a new license. Is my assumption correct?

2. serversignature

serversignature Well-Known Member

cPanel is designed for commercial hosting.

They only license publicly-visible, static IP addresses. Cpanel do not license dynamic, sticky, or internal IP addresses.

Have a look at License Verification - cPanel Inc.

Thanks,

3. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As far as I know, they licence the IP, portably.

If you change the IP, your licence provider can move the licence to a new IP so you don't need a new licence.