The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reinstalled OS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mysteerie, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Mysteerie

Mysteerie Well-Known Member

I just got a kernel panic, and my datacenter suggested a reinstall to a new harddrive, while keeping the old harddrive attached to another IDE cable.

What are the steps I can take to move my data to the new harddrive, and act like nothing happened?

2. asmar

asmar Well-Known Member

I've done many times data migration from corrupted OS or hard disk and never had a problem but that in servers without cpanel.

With cpanel you might experience problems (almost sure for that) after the new OS reload. However what is best to do is to ask them to add a 2nd drive, move the data there and then see how it goes.

Why they don't use the rescue mode and fix the kernel issue? It's better to pay them to do that than reinstalling the OS.

3. Mysteerie

Yes, that's what they did, they got a new harddrive, and OS reinstalled that drive, then put the old harddrive on another IDE slot.

How would I get the new OS to recognize the old harddrive, and I'll ask them about "rescue mode", but they are unmanaged, and probably unwilling to do it.

4. asmar

asmar Well-Known Member

Administering and fixing a broken image via rescue mode is not the simplest thing in the world. You must pay them to do it and obviously nobody else can do it as it cannot have physical access.

How did you manage to broke the kernel anyway? ;)

5. Mysteerie

No clue, just woke up this morning, and opened a support ticket to my datacenter, and bam that's what they told me. I have the automatic cPanel updates and security releases on. I do yum upgrade every week (but I'm still using Fedora 2 :()

No new hardware was installed, etc...

What linux ssh commands can I do to see the old harddrive, I'll even pay you if you are really good at this stuff to help me.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

7. Mysteerie

Yup, my datacenter said no on the "rescue mode", they won't even let me pay them.

8. asmar

asmar Well-Known Member

Most of the companies wont do that because it needs more time (if you don't know well) than reinstalling the OS.

Anyway, good luck