The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reject all mail to built-in cpanel email account

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by lbeachmike, Jun 17, 2012.

1. lbeachmike

lbeachmike Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi there -

How do I reject all email to the built-in email address in a user's cpanel account? Most users never use the built-in account and it simply accumulates mail. For the accounts that are getting tons of spam, the issue here is needless extra spamassassin load.

Thanks.

Mike

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I believe you are referring to the default email account available under the format of:

username@domain.com

You can modify the "Default Address" option within cPanel and set this to:

"Discard with error to sender (at SMTP time)"

This will ensure any messages sent to non-existing email accounts are discarded. Also, in "WHM >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings", you can configure the default setting for new accounts with the following option under the "Mail" tab:

"Initial default/catch-all forwarder destination"

Thank you.

3. lbeachmike

lbeachmike Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael - I did not receive any notification of your reply here and just noticed it.

I was not actually referring to altering the "Default Address" and was aware of that; however, until now I was not aware that the default email account was created with the purpose of being a catch-all.

My request is that I do not want default email accounts created - or, they should not be created if we are using the setting for failing all email. If a user wants to have a default email account, they should create that account and set the default address to point that account. My point is - why is a default account being created when nobody is using these to collect default email? Isn't there a way to disable the creation of these default email accounts? The only thing they do is add maintenance and consume resource. Don't you agree?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter: