The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reject mail with a spam score is greater then XX.0 at SMTP time ?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nyjimbo, Jun 8, 2008.

1. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

In the EXIM configuration editor you can select "Reject mail with a spam score is greater then XX.0 at SMTP time" but that can be 10.0, 12.5, 15.0,17.5 or 20.0

Has anyone done any testing to see what works best to stop spam BUT not get alot of complaints from clients?.

Sure we could test this for a few weeks but if someone has already done this maybe they could share their experience.

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Our servers serve predominantly US customers.

We set it to delete during SMTP if spam score is greater than 12.5 - Never had a complaint.

Additionally, when we configure a new account, by default we set it up so that it tags messages as spam with a score of 5 or greater, and we set their account to autodelete spam. They are always free to change that, but so far we have never had a customer complain that they didn't receive an email.

So for us, even a score of 5 is just fine... and we half half business/non-business.

But we definitely have no problems with 12.5. I'll probably decrease it to 10 now that yo mention it, since I've never seen any legitimate mail myself wiht a score greater than 5 (i'm sure it can happen, but only under very specific circumstances and probably more likely if the account is a place that exists in Asia).

mike

3. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Thanks. I lowered it to 15 (from 20). I will let it run one full week and then lower is to 12.5, this way people have time to complain. I agree that almost everything over 5 is usually spam, but there is always something out there that has a false positive and I guess I will have to grind down the numbers slowly to be sure.

4. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have my personal server on 10. No issues.

5. beddo

beddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have it set to 10 and we are still getting tonnes of spam through. It seems most of our spam is falling in 6-10 range with ham being much lower. How about just changing all the different checkboxes to one option that you can type your own number into? :)