The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rejected RCPT - with no reason shown

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ShaneK, Jul 12, 2007.

1. ShaneK

ShaneK Member

Hello everyone!

I have made some modifications to the default exim configuration. These all worked before the RELEASE tree upgrade to v11. I cleared them and re-implemented them for v11 and mail flows and my logs show mail being blocked quite effectively with my ACLs.

But ever since version 11 I've been getting alot of rejections with no reason logged... ie:

2007-07-12 09:36:03 H=(virgin.net) [218.49.234.66] F= rejected RCPT :

I've looked over the exim configuration a number of times.. but I can't find a deny with out a message..

Here is my exim config:

........... Seems my message is too long so I'll just link to my conf customization.

According to eximstats this is the #1 reason mail is being rejected on my server.

From EximStats:

I'm fairly certain this isn't legitimate email as no clients are complaining and each one I've looked at in the logs is from another random out of country IP. But I run a proffessional hosting operation and when a client does get snagged by this I need to know exactly why the email was rejected..

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Look through your exim.conf again and determine if you purposefully omitted the 'log message =' lines.

For instance, in some areas you have:

deny_message = blahblahblah
    log_message = otherblahblahblah

In other places (like in BOX2) you have:

deny_message = blahblahblah
    missing a "log_message" line

For all checks that you want it to log when the check fails, get an appropriate log_message = line in there for that particular check.

In your BOX 2 you have at least two items that do not have 'log_message =' entries.

Mike

#2 mtindor, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  3. ShaneK

ShaneK Member

Honestly I was under the impression adding message after deny also wrote that message to the log files. I did make a log_message * line for every deny messsage * but still I get the error.

After taking out the extra log_message lines for all of the shown HELO validation checks I telneted to the mail server to attempt to use empty or invalid HELOs. They were rejected with the proper message in the telnet session. And the attempt was logged properly showing log_message was not needed.

Interestingly enough I also completely removed all of my custom settings (I clicked the button at the bottom of exim config "Restore Config to Defaults") and the mysterious RCPT TO: denials are continuing to run through the logs with no reason indicated. Any idea where exactly I would go to report this bug?

Thanks ;)

#3 ShaneK, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  4. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Shane, did you ever get a resolution to this? We're writing a perl script that emails a report of all the different reasons for blocked mail each day and are seeing the same thing.