The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rejecting mail at SMTP time - over quota

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sparek-3, Jun 23, 2007.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2002
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am running 11.4.19-RELEASE_14378. I noticed the option in the WHM Reject email at SMTP time for users who have exceeded their quota rather than keeping it in the queue. This is probably a good idea, but it does mean people will lose mail so its not on by default. However when I test this option, this only seems to apply if a particular mailbox is over its respected mailbox quota. I'm not sure how well it works, but a very simple test shows that it works. However, if the overall account is over its quota, the message is still accepted at SMTP time. Are there any plans for this to be corrected?

Another words, say you have an account set up on the server:
    The username of this account is: example
    The overall quota for this account is: 100MB
    You have an e-mail account set up on the account:
    The mailbox quota for this e-mail account is: 10MB

--Scenario 1--
    If the example account is using 50MB of its quota, then it still has 50MB to play with. If the e-mail account is using 11MB, then it is over its mailbox quota. When someone tries to send a message to the server returns a 550 error after the RCPT TO part. This works as expected and I like this.

--Scenario 2--
    If the example account is using 120MB, then it is 20MB over its quota. Regardless of what the mailbox quota is for the mail server cannot write a message to the account, and really should not accept message for However, if the example account is using 120MB and is 20MB over its quota, and is using 2MB, well under its mailbox quota, the mail server is continuing to accept messages for after the RCPT TO part of the SMTP transaction.

It looks like if you can reject messages after the RCPT TO point for mailboxes that are over quota, then you could also reject messages for domains that are over their overall quota. This is not that big of a deal, I can use a previously define system that was defined on this forum for rejecting mails to domains that are over their quotas. I just did not know if this cPanel system was suppose to take care of this or if it is something that is going to be fixed in a later release?

Can anyone else verify that this is indeed the case? I may have something misconfigured. It has happened before. If I am the only one that is having this problem or if this is the intended function of the setup, then this is not really an issue.
  2. sehh

sehh Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2006
    I'd also like to see this "feature" implemented (return quota errors for all email addresses when the domain is over quota).