The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REL 5.x or CentOS 5.x?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ravibagul, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ravibagul

ravibagul Member

As per my understanding and experience, CentOs is more compatible with Cpanelas compared to Fedora, performance wise. I would therefore, request you to upgrade CentOs 4 to CentOs 5

2. myce

myce Well-Known Member

I am about to upgrade my server, and I'm wanting to know which operating system to choose. Currently, I'm using CentOS 4. Any opinions on which to choose and why? Thanks.

3. myce

myce Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the kind of feedback I was hoping to get, since performance is a major issue. Thanks!

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

CentOS is based on the publicly available RHE tarballs. CentOS does tend to be a little behind RHE on major updates between versions. The main difference between the two in practical terms is that RHE comes with a support license from RedHat, CentOS doesn't. As for Fedora - that's really a developers OS and you shouldn't use it on production servers.

5. myce

myce Well-Known Member

Hi Jonathan,

Your point about RHEL and the support license is well taken. I started to order RHEL for that very reason; but my last few memories of release 3.x was that unless you paid for an annual maintenance contract, you'd have difficulties getting updates, unless you had someone like EV1/ThePlanet backing you up with their site license.

Therefore, I decided to upgrade to CentOS 5.x. And, I must say that this has been the smoothest upgrade that I've ever had! The server was fully provisioned and loaded with software in about 6 hours. After installing and tweaking security, I started a website transfer via WHM overnight, and by morning all but one of my 82 sites transferred with no errors! Also, the server software was very up-to-date, unlike previous upgrades where I had to resolve a lot of errors of omission. So, all things considered, this was the best upgrade EVER! :D

6. asiams

asiams Well-Known Member

Any suggestions from Centos 4.7 to 5.3?

Hello,

I am running the following:

cPanel 11.24.4-C35075 - WHM 11.24.2 - X 3.9
    CENTOS 4.7 i686 standard on server24

I would like to upgrade Centos 4 to 5. Is there any pre-cautions before I do this? Any suggestions on how to do it without any errors or how-tos for smooth upgrade?

Thanks.

asiams

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You should check the CentOS forums. The recommended route between different OS versions is always to backup your data and then wipe the old OS and install the new one afresh (or boot from a new OS disk). Many people do successfully upgrade between OS versions, but you can easily be left with a server you cannot boot. I wouldn't recommend even attempting an upgrade unless you have full access to the serial console (directly or via KVM).

8. asiams

asiams Well-Known Member

Whould CenOS 4.7 be ok to run with current Cpanel/WHM?

Hello Chirpy,

Thank you for your reply.

Do you think it is ok to run Cpanel/WHM with CentOS 4.7?

Or do you think it better to have current CentOS 5.3?

Thanks.

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

CentOS v4.7 is a good stable OS and will have support for many more years to come. Unless you have a specific need to go to v5 I would stay as you are.

However, if I was commissioning a new server I'd opt for v5 to give it as long a life as possible.