The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relaying mail to Yahoo - temporarily deferred - Bulk

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by gdahl, Oct 16, 2007.

1. gdahl

gdahl Member
    PartnerNOC

The first error that was experienced when attempting to relay mail to yahoo users, including postmaster was the following:

2007-10-10 17:30:40 1Ifif0-0000bY-1W == postmaster@yahoo.com
    <user@currenthost.com> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry
    time not reached for any host

As research provided from several different sources, this is in reference to the Gray listing that yahoo previously added back in 2006. We resolved that error temporarily by adding the following retry entry into the /etc/exim.conf file:

* rcpt_4xx F,10m,2m; F,2h,10m

After that rule was added, any mail relayed to yahoo was either relayed or delayed with the following 'new' error message:

2007-10-10 17:34:40 1Ifc9u-0007as-Fg == postmaster@yahoo.com
    <user@hostdomain.com> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (0): SMTP
    error from remote mail server after initial connection: host
    a.mx.mail.yahoo.com [209.191.118.103]: 421 Message from (user-host-ip)
    temporarily deferred - 4.16.50. Please refer to
    http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-06.html

We noticed that there were several comments made that yahoo is only allowing up to five connections to the SMTP servers, which results in this error message being reported. When attempting to perform another forced delivery of this message, it will either display this error again or actually complete the delivery.

At the time of completing the delivery, the mail will be placed into the Bulk folder of the users yahoo account. We have verified that all proper settings are configured to distinguish if the host is real or being used to send forged e-mail.

The settings would include: Proper PTR Records resolving back to the hostname configured of the SMTP Mail server, proper headers being included into the e-mail, the hostname of the mail server resolving back to the host of the PTR record, SPF Entry for the domain and added a domain key for the domain that the mail is being relayed from.

The headers that yahoo reports from the "bulk" e-mail are as listed:

X-YahooFilteredBulk: 69.41.162.***
    X-Originating-IP: [69.41.162.***]
    From: user@host.com Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
    Yahoo! DomainKeys has confirmed that this message was sent by host.com. Learn more
    To: user@yahoo.com
    User-Agent: SquirrelMail/1.4.9a
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain;charset=iso-8859-1
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
    Importance: Normal
    X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
    X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - server-hostname.com
    X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - yahoo.com
    X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [47 12] / [47 12]
    X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - server-hostname.com
    X-Source:
    X-Source-Args:
    X-Source-Dir:

We have utilized a search of the IP being used for this mail server in several different spamcop related searches to see if it's being blacklisted, however, it's reporting to be good.

To summon up this request, we are looking for a resolution to where any mail relayed to yahoo will be delivered quickly instead of being stuck in a loop of attempting to send. As this being stated, the e-mail that is then delivered to the designated user at yahoo is being placed into the bulk folder.

Please provide your questions and/or statements in reference to this as all will be accepted. Thank you for your time in attempt of resolving this situation and have a nice day!

2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I advise our users who have this problem with Yahoo to use something else. This is something that Yahoo has done, it is an anti-spam measure that they have enabled, there's nothing more I can do to resolve the situation.

Maybe the rest of the general public likes this new procedure that Yahoo has enabled. I don't and I get the feeling that there are several other webhosting companies that also dislike it. Until I start hearing how the general public is applauding Yahoo's effort here, I don't see where it is necessarily my place to bow to Yahoo's new methods.

I tell our users that if they are expecting to receive any type of important e-mail, they better not be using Yahoo. This new anti-spam measure from Yahoo really makes mail delivery to Yahoo extremely unreliable. Even if I did make changes to my server to insure delivery to Yahoo, that doesn't mean that everyone around the world is also going to make those changes. If you are using Yahoo mail for anything important, there is no telling how many of those important messages you are not receiving.

This probably isn't the answer you were looking for. But in my opinion, I would just inform your users to use something else other than Yahoo. Perhaps when Yahoo starts to see their market share dip in the webmail department, they will re-evaluate their anti-spam systems.

3. gdahl

gdahl Member
    PartnerNOC

I appreciate the response in this situation. I would love to head that direction as it just seems to be the easiest to deal with this situation but it's a huge factor on my part at getting this problem resolved.

I really can't think of anything further to proceed with at getting the mail to process into the proper queue. I suppose I could attempt to swap the IP addresses around that this dedicated server is currently bound to in attempt to verify if it may be blacklisted on yahoo's part for filtering into the bulk queue.

I've sent a e-mail previously to yahoo in reference to their spam configuration they just applied recently, but I have not yet received a response. I take it that they are still dealing with all the other complaints in reference to the new spam filtering configuration they applied.

4. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You might try reading the blog post at:

http://www.ahfx.net/weblog.php?article=107

It is an old post, but some of the comments are relatively recent. It kind of describes what everyone believes is going on in regards to this with Yahoo.