The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

remmended OS...

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by arkain, Jan 12, 2005.

1. arkain

arkain Well-Known Member

I know everybody would tell me to take a hike and install Red Hat 3 ES.... But what else out there that is stable with cPanel...

How is Fedora?

What about CentOS?

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Fedora is the test bed OS for Redhat Enterprise. Its usually got the latest and greatest in programs, but with that comes a lack of stability. Its also got a 6 month life cycle, so after that 6 months you're basically going to have to re-load a new OS on that machine and restore from backup. You can place your trust in FedoraLegacy for updates, but if you've followed their track record.. you'd probably choose not to.

CentOS is RHEL ( RedHat Enterprise Linux ) rebuilt from source, legally, and its compatable with redhat. We use it, we love it, and we've been happy with it since we switched many months ago.

3. arkain

arkain Well-Known Member

Well said, and I will take your advice upon many others to give my network a make over with centOS.

Thank you for your time.

4. s_2_s

s_2_s Well-Known Member

fedora caused me many problems
    RH9 consumed lot of cpu more than fedora
    bsd not all programs run on it

5. arkain

arkain Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Centos look promising... but I can't get cPanel to install apache for some odd reason... can you help?

Do you have aim?

6. fusioncroc

fusioncroc Well-Known Member

centos is defiently the best distro of linux by the way 3.4 of centos came out recently

7. Etheral

Etheral Well-Known Member

I believe in Fedora. It may be "somewhat new" and in development, but fedora has never failed me :). CentOS is also a great platform. But fedora would be my opinion.

8. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Its not that is not trusted, or that its to "new" of a distro, it was essentially based off the redhat linux line, and then hacked up further. The issue is, what are you going to do when it come time for EOL ( End Of Life ) ? Are you just going to migrate all the clients to a new fedora core server every 6 - 12 months ? Fedora core jumps via apt-get or yum aren't really all that great of an idea, even the fedora developers don't suggest it because of the changes from core to core.

I just don't see it as a viable solution as a server OS. I mean how often are kernels released for fedora ? How many reboots are required ( = downtime for clients ) because of those kernels that are pushed out so often. Thats just the tip of the iceburg quite honestly.

I'm very interesting in hearing what plans people have for FC EOL day.

9. Etheral

Etheral Well-Known Member

hehe, good point there, BUT. I personnaly do not update core-to-core, and if i need a kernal recompile, i do it myself. All of my systems are the exact clones *depending on server specialization and dependencies*. I myself am a fan of the Red Hat line, great interface, and package installation system. To me its the most professionally developed linux enviornment out there. But still, thats my opinion :).