The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote Backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by roscoe5, Jul 24, 2002.

1. roscoe5

roscoe5 Member

I am looking for a way to backup a server and download the backup via SSH to a remote pc to store on a HD. Someone out there must have figured a way. It is running linux box. The server has a 60 gig hd and I have a 120 gig hd on my pc. I have a cable connection so I am not worried about the length of time. Just need to figure out HOW to do it without getting a 2nd HD on the server and doing the /backup deal.

2. itf

itf Well-Known Member

you have to create your own script, because 1) compressed files should be stored on the server 2) you have to transfer them to your local pc

without 2nd HD you have to do it one by one for each account then transfer to your pc, which would be easier with an script

There is another way using &rsync&
    but system configuration files should be done as above with a script or manually (if you need a list of necessary configuration files for backup just post a followup)

3. roscoe5

roscoe5 Member

yes, please

I'm new to the server game, so I'll take all help I can get.

4. quake

quake Registered

scp

Why not use scp.
    Tar the files first.
    Allow ssh for the ip of the local machine. (say desination_ip)
    and use the command
    scp &file to be copied& user@destination_ip:/path/to/backup/directory/

5. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:140823a963][i:140823a963]Originally posted by quake[/i:140823a963]

Why not use scp.
    Tar the files first.
    Allow ssh for the ip of the local machine. (say desination_ip)
    and use the command
    scp &file to be copied& user@destination_ip:/path/to/backup/directory/
    [/quote:140823a963]
    rsync, is faster flexible replacement for scp

But the problem is not the command it is the lack of space on the server, read the entire thread again please, thus you have to backup one by one , consider backing up the entire server ...
    Backup feature in WHM doesn't backup this way, I wrote that you have to develop your own script to automate this issue.

However remote backup is not recommended.

6. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

[quote:e968ed5849][i:e968ed5849]Originally posted by itf[/i:e968ed5849]
    However remote backup is not recommended.[/quote:e968ed5849]

Why? I would think that a remote backup would be the best, most secure backup there is. You can backup to a second hard drive, and that is fine for recovery from a primary hard drive failure, but it isn't going to help you if you get &owned&. If somebody has been in your box, you are not going to want to restore backups that were physically located on the owned box.

A second hard drive would make remote backups easier, but it could be done with a script and a single drive, by grabbing all the critical config files and then stepping through each user directory one at a time and gzipping and ftping them off the server and then deleting the gzipped file from the server before moving on to the next directory.

It is possible. Not easy, but possible.

7. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:174ea40590][i:174ea40590]Originally posted by Marty[/i:174ea40590]

[quote:174ea40590][i:174ea40590]Originally posted by itf[/i:174ea40590]
    However remote backup is not recommended.[/quote:174ea40590]

Why? I would think that a remote backup would be the best, most secure backup there is. You can backup to a second hard drive, and that is fine for recovery from a primary hard drive failure, but it isn't going to help you if you get &owned&. If somebody has been in your box, you are not going to want to restore backups that were physically located on the owned box.

A second hard drive would make remote backups easier, but it could be done with a script and a single drive, by grabbing all the critical config files and then stepping through each user directory one at a time and gzipping and ftping them off the server and then deleting the gzipped file from the server before moving on to the next directory.

It is possible. Not easy, but possible.[/quote:174ea40590]

[b:174ea40590]& it is NOT recommended&[/b:174ea40590],
    It is NOT recommended does not mean that it is impossible I wrote how to do this, please read the entire thread first

Why it is not recommended? (disadvantages of Remote backup)
    Security issues, Cost, Delay, privacy issues, server loads, bandwidth usage and ...

8. rsantos

rsantos Member

Hi there,

I'm new as well and am very interested getting a remote back-up script working. The problem that we have is the company that's hosting the website is not very reliable, it would make us feel better knowing that we have a local copy of the cpanel back-ups in case of an emergency.

Can anyone provide some information to help us out on this topic/ how to get this going ?

Thanks.

9. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:c84463aae0][i:c84463aae0]Originally posted by rsantos[/i:c84463aae0]

Hi there,

I'm new as well and am very interested getting a remote back-up script working. The problem that we have is the company that's hosting the website is not very reliable, it would make us feel better knowing that we have a local copy of the cpanel back-ups in case of an emergency.

Can anyone provide some information to help us out on this topic/ how to get this going ?

Thanks.[/quote:c84463aae0]

Are you an end-user, reseller or a dedicated server owner?
    if you are a dedicated server owner the answer is available in this thread (read the entire thread)

If you are an end-user use backup feature in the Cpanel (in default theme go to Access Menu -& backup)

10. rsantos

rsantos Member

i'm working for company who's a dedicated server owner but the actual server is located remotely. we are renting the server from a web-hosting company outside our area. the owner is not confident with the web-hosting company right now and he'd like to have a back-up of the data that the cpanel is backing up in case of an emergency.

and yes, i read your post and you've mentioned rsync. i'm currently looking at http://rsync.samba.org for usage and implementation information. i was just hoping i'd get more information, coming from a windows background, sometimes it's a challenge porting over to linux.

thanks for the reply.