The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

remote connection to mysql with their gui tools

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZeusChicago, Apr 18, 2007.

1. ZeusChicago

ZeusChicago Active Member

Oct 9, 2005
    Sometimes I hate myself, every 8-9 months my IP at home changes, and I am no longer able to access the mysql databse via the root login from my home anymore, with mysql's gui tools (admin, query browser, etc).

And every 8-9 months I have to go searching for the darn answer to give myself access from hom again.

Does anyone remember the mysql command to add access for myself, from a specific IP to mysql instance on my server, loging in as root? There is some specific mysql stored proc that does it, but for the life of me I cant remember what it is....or what the name of it was.

Thanks in advance!

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

Apr 7, 2006
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You want the GRANT statement

GRANT USAGE on *.* TO root@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
    Anywhere that MySQL requires an IP/Host Address, you can use a '%' whihc is the wildcard. Now, since that opens access from anywhere (with correct username/password), you may not want that. Anyother possiblity is to use DynDNS to assign a DNS to your home connection. It will automatically update wheneever your home IP changes. Then in your databases, grant access to the DynDNS name and you should never have to change again.