The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

remote dns / cpanel dnsonly

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by valleytech, Sep 25, 2007.

1. valleytech

valleytech Member

hi,

I really have big problem with building dns. Initially, i thought it's ok to have dns together with mail/web/mysql in one machine. However, i don't know why after setting name servers and using DNS functions, the mail server doesn't work properly. So, having a separate dns is a way to go.

Is that good to have a separate dns?
    Anybody has the chance to use cpanel dnsonly? after installation, i don't really know how to use it. Logging via 2087/2083 doesn't work either. Any insight? thanks so much!

2. Echelon17

Echelon17 Well-Known Member

I don't understand this. It's absolutely fine to have mail/web/mysql and DNS on the same server - if your budget doesn't allow for anything else. Of course, seperating all these services onto dedicated boxes will give you much more redundancy, but it's not always financially feasible.

If your mail server doesn't work properly, then you need to check the logs and determine why. How doesn't it work properly? Not receiving e-mail?

Don't forget that mail and DNS are directly related. Unless overwritten by local MTA/server configurations, MX records will determine the paths of e-mails, so if you're using multiple servers you may have the IP addresses wrong.

Yes, it's good to have seperate DNS from the point of view that it offers more redundancy. If the DNS falls over you (should) have another for backup, which keeps your sites and e-mail running just fine.

If you don't know much about DNS then I advise you to do some research on it. Particularly on BIND. If you mean you don't know much about Cpanel's DNS only feature, then just do a search around, there's a lot of information on the web about it.

3. valleytech

valleytech Member

thanks!
    actually, i'm so confused between the way i set up BIND manually and the way it's set with cpanel.

1. my server has local IP to be 192.168.1.2. the register nameservers have public IP to be 64.62.250.79. In cpanel, when WHM--> nameserver IP --> it only shows 192.168.1.2

can you please explain this?