The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote Mail Exchanger Problem

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by spindoc, Apr 16, 2014.

1. spindoc

spindoc Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello, I have a question.

I have domain.com DNS hosted elsewhere. They direct the www record to my Cpanel and I host their website.However they host their own email.

On their website I have it setup to use remote mailserver option, and I have the Mx entry set as mail.domain.com. Which is the name of their server. Mail.domain.com, the same as it would be on my Cpanel.

But the emails that get sent out from the website always fail, CPanel keeps looking internally to send to those emails and they don't exist obviously so they fail.

How do I set up the MX and or Remote Mail exchange so that emails from the website go out to the internet to find their mailserver "mail.domain.com" and not look internally at "mail.domain.com"

As I said I already have remote mail exchanger checked and the mx entry is mail.domain.com

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The DNS/MX entries you modify on the cPanel server will not matter because the DNS is handled on the remote server. Make sure the MX records are properly configured on that remote server and make sure the domain name exists in /etc/remotedomains on the cPanel server.

Thank you.

3. level

level Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi,

I have a similar problem as stated above. I have a hosting client who left their email with GoDaddy. His email works except when emailing another account on my server. Nor can I email him.

His domain is in /etc/remotedomains

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What method is used to send email locally? Is it through an email client or through a PHP script? Do you notice any output in /var/log/exim_mainlog for the messages? This command can help search for the messages:

Code:
    exigrep user@domain /var/log/exim_mainlog
    Thank you.