The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote Mail Exchanger Rejected Messages Show Up in Local Log

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ljj3, Nov 7, 2014.

1. ljj3

ljj3 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi... I have host multiple domains in a reseller configuration on a VPS. Most have local mail exchange set up, but several use remote mail exchangers. Everything is working correctly....

One new account is also working correctly - local nameserver, main domain pointing at my server, mail server on remote client system, correct mx records, website functioning correctly, remote mail exchanger working, people getting and sending mail, but I noticed an odd thing I had not seen before in my server's mail delivery logs.

Rejected, obviously spam messages from external sites (like Yahoo, etc) sent to users on the remote mail system seem to show up in my log. Like this:

Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client. (example.com) [xxx.131.11.75]:55554 is not permitted to relay through this server without authentication.

I would have thought that bounces from the remote site would go back to the sender - not to the main domain? Perhaps the remote mail exchanger is missing something?

Thanks, as I said, everything is working, but this just makes me curious....

- Lou

2. ljj3

ljj3 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Let me re-phrase my question, when a remote mail server is active, why would any of the domain's email be processed through the server where it's example.com website is hosted?

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you verify which specific log file you see the entries in? For instance, how are you accessing /var/log/exim_mainlog with only reseller access?

Thank you.

4. ljj3

ljj3 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi - the log I'm looking at is "Mail Delivery Reports" from WHM logged in as the reseller/owner...

As I said, no messages show up in the log except ones bounced by the final destination...

- Lou

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suggest reporting this issue to your web hosting provider so they can take a closer look at /var/log/exim_mainlog in order to troubleshoot the issue.

Thank you.