The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote mail using Office 365, plus remotely hosted website

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by bloatedstoat, Aug 2, 2016.

1. bloatedstoat

bloatedstoat Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We have a new client who we will be managing DNS records for, both the website and email are remotely hosted, the latter Office 365.

Can someone advise me if I have the MX record and the A record for mail set up correctly please in the attached mock up.

Want to be confident that this set-up is accurate, if it's wrong or there is a better way of doing it then I'm keen to learn so please feel free!

Thanks in advance.
    dns_records.jpg

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes, the MX entry and "A" record for the "mail" subdomain are properly configured, assuming you entered the correct remote IP address and hostname. Also, ensure "Remote Mail Exchanger" is selected under "Email Routing".

Thank you.

3. bloatedstoat

bloatedstoat Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Michael. It works for Outlook but not for iOS - iPhones & iPads.

MS Outlook is configured, it successfully connects and retrieves emails from the Office 365 Exchange server; however, iOS devices throw errors and set-up fails.

"Remote Mail Exchanger" is selected under "Email Routing" and has been since we set the account up.

What appears to be happening is that iOS is ignoring the MX and autodiscover entries in DNS and connecting directly to the main A record IP defined in client-domain.com.au.

This is borne out by a certificate warning as the iOS mail app tries to configure the account. The SSL certificate served is on the client-domain.com.au web server, not the expected certificate on the Exchange server defined in the MX record.

To test & confirm this theory I changed the A record IP address for client-domain.com.au to our shared IP and the certificate warning appeared again although it (oddly) showed an SSL certificate for unrelated client on our server.

Logic suggests to me that given Outlook successfully configures the account then other mail apps would too, sadly not all software is created equal and the chap who is setting up the mail accounts seems to think it's at our (DNS) end causing the iOS issues whereas I'm pointing my finger of suspicion more toward iOS. If Outlook successfully configures the account then DNS *should* be right?

Any idea what might be happening here?

Thanks once again.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you tried changing the "Host Name" setting under "iOS >> Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars >> Accounts"?

Thank you.