The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote MySQL Questions

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by trec-r, Sep 15, 2011.

1. trec-r

trec-r Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have been reading about the Setup Remote MySQL tool in WHM but still have a few questions. Some of the info I was reading conflicts with other sources. I want to make sure I have a clear understanding before moving forward.

1. Does the setup process move the databases from the localhost to the remote server?
    2. Can I use a mix of local and remote databases?
    3. Once remote databases are setup is it functionally the same as having them local?

Thanks
    Richie

2. andyaav

andyaav Member

1. Does the setup process move the databases from the localhost to the remote server?
    >> No, you have to manually transfer databases to your remote MySQL server. You can transfer it using rsync/scp

2. Can I use a mix of local and remote databases?
    >> Once you setup the remote MySQL server the new databases will be create on Remote server instead of Local so you can not use local MySQL server for those databases.
    If you already have databases on server (before the remote MySQL server setup) then you can easily change your database configuration file to use local MySQL server by putting "localhost" as mysql host. Please note either you can use local MySQL server or Remote MySQL server for your databases you can not use both at same time with above setup.

3. Once remote databases are setup is it functionally the same as having them local?
    Yes

3. trec-r

trec-r Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I know its been awhile but I am hoping you will be able to answer a few more questions on its use.

1. Under "Authentication:" it says "Login as: Root User (default)" but there seems to be no way to change that. Is there any way to change the user?

2. Because of the systems I am using I can not login directly as root. Can this be made to work some other way?

Thanks
    Richie