The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote MySQL server -- 1 DB server, many cPanel boxes

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by astopy, Jul 13, 2010.

1. astopy

astopy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Am I correct in thinking that I can't have multiple cPanel boxes all using the same remote MySQL installation? My understanding is that some databases with the same names (e.g. eximstats) would cause issues, and I'm guessing if I happened to have two users on different servers who had the same username then there might be issues with database ownerships since their database names would start with the same prefixes.

I'm intending to use one remote server with multiple MySQL instances bound to different IP addresses, one for each cPanel server. But obviously if it can be easily done with just one MySQL instance on the remote server then that might be better.

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your assumptions and understanding is correct. This will improve in cPanel 11.25.1 with the database mapping feature (Software Releases - cPanel Inc.)

3. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You may even considering using something like openvz for this, then if you ever want to migrate one of them to a dedicated MySQL you can migrate the VZ over. Granted MySQL is pretty simple to migrate anyways..

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Important cPanel/WHM Version Number Designation Change

Please Note: Important cPanel/WHM Version Number Designation Change

As of July 28, 2010 the cPanel/WHM version number designations have been officially changed.

Version 11.25.1 is now designated 11.28 and version 11.25.2 is now designated 11.30.

These new changes were explained in some detail recently at the July 2010 - Quarterly Road map - Webinar direct from cPanel's PodCast Studio in Houston, Texas with speakers David Grega and Mario Rodriguez.

An official press release about these changes is forthcoming and can be accessed at this link as soon as it's made available to the Forum Team:
    Important cPanel/WHM Version Number Designation Change (To be updated)

This post serves to update users who are subscribed to threads (where this message is posted) looking forward to upcoming enhancements in future versions of cPanel.

5. tandyuk

tandyuk Active Member

Id like to know how the database mapping feature helps solve this.

I have 3 cpanel webservers, and one main mysql server.
    The original plan was to have all 3 webservers sharing the same mysql server but due to conflicts with database names like modsec and eximstats, this fails hard.

How would I go about prefixing database names, so i ended up with for example
    host1_eximstats
    host1_modsec
    host2_eximstats

Many Thanks