The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote MySQL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EchoHost, Mar 29, 2005.

1. EchoHost

EchoHost Well-Known Member

I want to make it so i can access MySQL from a program on my computer. I'm just not sure how to do that.

Any help is appriciated!

Thanks

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I can't help you with using a program on your computer to access MySQL on a Cpanel server - this depends on the program.

However assuming that you know how to configure the program correctly, you will also need to specify which remote hosts are allowed to access a given database.

In Cpanel enter the main MySQL menu and at the bottom you will see "Access hosts". Just add the IP of the remote machine (remote with respect to your Cpanel server) to which you want to grant access to the database.

3. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do not forget to allow port 3360 tcp open to the person that wants to access mysql remotely.

4. nottheusual1

nottheusual1 Active Member

If you are on a WIN box you will need to set up an ODBC data connection using a MYSQL driver. You can start here:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/3.51.html

to get the driver. The WIN help system can get you through creating the ODBC connection - you'll need a data host (your domain or IP address), a MySQL database name, login, and password.

If you've also done as the others suggested, you'll be able to hook-up using any program that can utilize the ODBC connection.

5. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

If the program you want to use with MySQL on your PC can change the host with the other user/password/database options, you don't even need to mess with ODBC. Simply change the host from 'localhost' to your server's IP or hostname. You'' have to open port 3306 (not 3360) in your server's firewall and make sure skip-networking is NOT in /etc/my.cnf.

6. djalpha

djalpha Active Member

great solution for me.
    most mysql tweak comes with skip-networking we must remove this line if whisesd remote access.