The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote Sql Setup

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by jumponlinewithu, Feb 18, 2007.

1. jumponlinewithu

Hi everyone,

I am so sorry if this may be off topic but I thought I would get the best help here.

I am currently running 1 Linux Based dedicated server with mysql installed and the sql server is currently installed using localhost.

I am also a developer and I am wanting to access the databases via windows based software. This is the problem the only way I can connect directly to the database is if I use ssh. Not all users that I sell the software to will have or be granted SSH access depending on hosting company and security issues.

Granite not all hosting providers allow direct database access either but if I can get it to atleast work on my server and they want the software I gain another customer.

If I go through Remote Sql Setup and configure it to use one of the ip addresses that I have on the server will this solve my issue and allow me to connect to the database without needing the use of ssh?

When I do this will this automatically reconfigure phpmyadmin to reflect the ip address of where mysql is now located instead of using localhost?

Will all the databases be saved and migrated in, or does it like delete everything and like re-install it all over again?

Any and all help to this issue will be greatly appreciated along with any and all warnings that I might need to look out for before attempting this.

Thank You,
    Shawn Mulligan
    http://www.svphost.com

2. brendanrtg

brendanrtg Well-Known Member

3. jumponlinewithu

ODBC Drivers Work But not with my Server

I think I found the issue but not sure.

There is only one user assigned to the MySql database which is root. The database is currently setup to use localhost.

So with this knowledge I went and used putty to login in as a user on the system and attempted to run mysql and got USERNAME@localhost denied.

Wehn I log in a sroot and run the mysql and run the query select user();
    It only returns with the root user.

I am assuming this is a so called shared database??

How do I set it up where all my users can access the database?
    Once this is figured out then I might beable to get the odbc drivers to work.

Which is why I was thinking that using the Remote Sql Setup might fix everything but I don't want to run it and lose all the existing data.

Thanks
    Shawn Mulligan