Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Remote SSH ROOT access for single hostname/IP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lostinspace, Nov 26, 2005.

1. lostinspace

lostinspace Well-Known Member

Hello folks,

I was wondering if there's a way to allow remote SSH ROOT access for a single IP/hostname?

We have disabled "PasswordAuthentication" and "PermitRootLogin" in our SSHD config files but would like to be able to use ROOT SFTP.

I suppose enabling "PermitRootLogin" and adding [from="remote.host.com"] to the beginning of the ROOT key would be a work around but still doesn’t seem very secure.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT1:
    I discovered the "without-password" for the "PermitRootLogin" tag in the SSHD config file. That's a little better option than simply allowing ROOT logins.

Still looking to lock down SSH ROOT login to specific hostname(s)...

EDIT2:
    Seems all I needed to do was post this thread because I'm answering my own question as I plug through the configuration file.

Along with EDIT1, I added the following to the ROOT ".ssh/authorized_keys" file:
    Code:
    from="allowed1.host.com,allowed2.host.com", FOLLOWED_BY_KEYFILE

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 lostinspace, Nov 26, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2005