Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote User Account Transfer Error: Bad address length for Socket

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by ctroyp123, Nov 20, 2017.

1. ctroyp123

ctroyp123 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am receiving an error (twice now) when trying to migrate from one *Daddy VPS to another *Daddy VPS.
    I do not have IPV6 configured on the source or destination VPS or accounts. Using WHM v68.0.14 and CentOS7.

Is there a way to get around the issue? Is IPV6 required to be configured for the accounts?

2. ctroyp123

ctroyp123 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    More info:

The transfer created a ~15GB file as the backup on the source. It was copied to the destination server and the restore process completed, but failed at the end with the aforementioned error. Point being that it appears that the transfer was working and effectively completed until it hits the IPv6 issue.

Again, IPv6 is not configured or desired for either source or the destination account.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

There's a thread on this topic at:

Bad address length for Socket transfer tool error

Per that thread, IPv6 kernel support was disabled. It must be enabled per our documentation at:

Installation Guide - System Requirements - Version 68 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

4. ctroyp123

ctroyp123 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi Michael! Thanks for the confirmation. I had seen that post, but the OP did not have an answer as to how to make it work. He specifically asked how to enable IPv6, but in my case, I need to just make the family available rather than including it within the kernel.

Would you have any info on the minimum that I need to do to get the AF_INET6 family "available-enough" to get the transfer to complete?

Again, thanks!

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You mentioned using a GoDaddy VPS. You will need to contact them to see if they support setting up an IPv6-enabled kernel. Note that you don't actually need an IPv6 address, just support for it in the kernel.

Thank you.

6. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Just noticed this today...

Bad address length for Socket::inet_ntop on AF_INET6

Recently updated CL kernels due to intel CPU issues. Was never a problem before but started happening since updating.

Today I updated to

2.6.32-896.16.1.lve1.4.51.el6.x86_64

Anyone else having this issue since updating to recent kernels? ipv6 seems to be loaded...

lsmod | grep ipv6
    ipv6 340741 0

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @4u123,

I'm unable to find any additional reports of this issue from customers updating to the new CloudLinux 6 kernel (it was published on January 18th, 2018). Could you open a support ticket so we can take a closer look?

Thank you.

8. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Interestingly it only seems to be happening on one server. I'll keep looking.

9. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  10. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Thanks Dave I noticed that post. if you're referring to the presence of some settings in /etc/modprobe.d/ipv6.conf - that file doesn't exist on my servers, they are mostly CentOS 6 converted to CL. I'm not experiencing any issues with this server other than the above error but I'm concerned enough to raise a ticket if I can't get it resolved within 24 hours. The problem is that I'm getting this error in a third party backup addon, although it seems to be using the cpanel process to perform a restore. I'll keep looking.