Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Removal of SSL Sharing Question

Discussion in 'Security' started by blipper, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. blipper

blipper Active Member

Question, I see in version 76:
    Removal of SSL Sharing
    In cPanel & WHM version 76, we removed the ability to share SSL certificates.

I have several clients that use my main shared SSL, https://MyServer.com/~ClientName for certain function on their site.

Will removal of the SSL sharing break these clients? Or is this referring to something else?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @blipper,

The intent of the change is to remove the SSL sharing functionality completely. Can you provide some more information on how that link is utilized on the websites? Also, is there anything in-particular that's keeping you from using the AutoSSL feature? It will issue free signed SSL certificates for individual domain names.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. blipper

blipper Active Member

We have a number of very old accounts, 10-15+ years that all have a rudimentary custom shopping carts made from html. Customer clicks on "order now" and it directs them to forms at https://MyServer.com/~ClientName - In the old days, SSL was quite expensive and shopping cart technology not as widely available.

The right thing to do would be to go to domain specific ssl, but that would require significant coding changes on this side which we don't really want to do, and our clients won't pay for it. Many of my "legacy" clients are seniors, have very little technical knowledge, and don't understand the need to upgrade or change, especially when things are currently working, so why change?

I hope that help with context.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @blipper,

While it's not recommended, you can still technically make use of a URL like the following as long as you've enabled Mod_Userdir and the SSL certificate for the hostname shows as installed in WHM >> Manage SSL:

Code:
    https://server.host.tld/~username/
    With AutoSSL, the domains would all automatically have signed SSL certificates installed. At that point, you could write a bash script that finds all uses of "server.host.tld" in website files and replaces it with the valid domain name. EX:

Code:
    grep -r "server.host.tld" /home
    If there are too many files to manually edit, then you could incorporate a "replace" command in your bash script that detects the domain name based on the document root and replaces "server.host.tld" with "correct-domain.tld".

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...