The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove a pop account, all pass's rejected

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DigiCrime, Jul 27, 2006.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime Well-Known Member

problem here is when a customer deletes a pop account from cpanel all passwords for all their pop accounts are rejected. Myself was unable to duplicate the problem or find any errors in the logs when it happens. Just reset it, courierup and eximup and everythings ok. I sent a ticket into Cpanel support about this, they said they couldnt duplicate it, nor have they heard of such a thing.

Question here is has anyone else ever encounter something like this before ?

2. LiNUxG0d

LiNUxG0d Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I have in my admin adventures encountered a similar issue, but it was Outlook Express related and rebooting the end-users computer fixed it.

Does this happen with all mail clients he uses? (Thunderbird, Outlook, Outlook Express, Netscap Messenger, Eudora, blah blah)
    Does webmail work?

If webmail works and his POP application doesn't, then the problem is probably PC related.

Did/do other users complain about this on your server?

Let me know,

Jamie

3. DigiCrime

THis is one server, one domain but 100's of pop accounts, not mine just researching this. webmail works just not pop I to cannot log in it rejects the password, this is any email client, only works after I reset courier and exim.

4. LiNUxG0d

LiNUxG0d Well-Known Member

Wow,

As melon scratchers go, that one's a honey doodle!

Well, I can only assume that possibly the larger amount of pop accounts is causing a latency issue when the password is changed maybe? Sort of like, it has to update tons of accounts or something to re-synch the email passwords?

I can only guess from this point. If webmail works but the POP daemon is being retarded... man... I hate that. When you get one exception to the rule.

You have no clue how many times this happens to me.

LOL!

Jamie

5. DigiCrime

THis problem still exists, I contacted Cpanel about it they said they couldn't find any apparent problems.. they could pop in from the command line, only those who are using outlook seems to have the initial problem (can't authenticate) and courier/exim needs to be reinstalled by --force for it to work again.

This particular issue is upsetting the client and its baffling myself as to what in the hell is actually wrong....My only guess at this point is because they have a buttload of pop accounts, when they delete an account(s) the system needs to refresh itself I am guessing to make the changes and it can't keep up. If this is the case then cpanel software is the wrong software to be using for such an single account with this many pop accounts.

Edit in: I do see a lot of this in the logs during the times its not working, this is just one of the errors, theres a lot of them but they all say the same thing per accoun tthat attempts to log in

2006-08-16 16:41:06 fixed_login
    authenticator failed for (BRIDGESFWS47) [75.14.234.62]: 535 Incorrect authentication data (set_id=sean@xxxxxxx 2006-08-16
    16:41:09 fixed_login authenticator failed for (BRIDGESFWS47) [75.14.234.62]: 435 Unable to authenticate at present
    (set_id=sean@xxxxxx): Undefined subroutine &main::checkuserpass called.

#5 DigiCrime, Aug 16, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  6. AlexPaes

AlexPaes Member

Hi,

I have just posted on another thread since i hadn't found this one in the search. I'm having the exact same problem, we have moved just recently to a dedicated server and now everytime one of our clients delete an e-mail account the other users on the same domain stop being able to connect I have discovered that if the customer goes into the cpanel and changes the password for the account (to the exact same thing, meaning no real password change) then it starts working again. Initially i thought this could be caused by some kind of permission problem but after checking the files on the server i noticed that was not the problem.

Btw, i have seen answes about the user/domain being marked as demo in /etc/demodomains and /etc/demousers but this is not the case, they are not listed there.

If someone out there has some idea on what might be happenning can you please share it? Our customers are far from happy, they have e-mail users spread all over the country and they can't have them all call one person to be constantly resetting passwords for them whenever some e-mail account has to be deleted.

Thanks in advance for all the time and help.

7. DigiCrime

Hi

If your getting the same error as I did "535 Incorrect authentication data " You need to turn off authentication. Why it did it and doesnt then did I have no idea, cpanel looked their eyeballs out so they claimed and couldnt find anything wrong. Connecting isnt the issue its authenticating that I had aproblem with.

8. AlexPaes

AlexPaes Member

Hi, and thanks for your answer DigiCrime,

Can you just explain me if i should disable server-side SMTP authentication or disable authentication on outlook for those users? Plus, do you know if this incurs in some kind of increase on the security risk?

Thanks for such a fast answer ;)

9. DigiCrime

Probably be best to disable it on the client side. As far as security risks or side effects I have no idea, for years Ive used pop/smtp without it I've never really had any problems. This is the first time Ive encounter it took me a while to figure it out when it was something to obvious. :rolleyes:

10. AlexPaes

AlexPaes Member

Thanks DigiCrime,

I will tell our clients and will try disabling the smtp authentication on the client side, i will post my results as soon as i receive the feedback from the client, so that everyone can know it did work, if it doesn't then maybe someone has some other ideas ;)

Thanks for all the help.