The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove clam and mailscanner

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by adapter, Jan 10, 2005.

1. adapter

adapter Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi

i have install clam + mailscanner but it are eating my cpu how can i remove it?

thx

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    if you downloded it from layer1 there is a ./untinstall script with it

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

...and if you downloaded it from my site there are uninstall instructions included.

4. stinky

stinky Member

MailScanner is keeping my Server Load in the red too. Around 1.8. I don't want to uninstall it because I could never get SpamAssassin to run under 100% cpu usage. Where can I find some tweaks or tips for managing MailScanner? I would also like to use RBLs to help out or would this not affect MailScanner? Today I added this in the ACL section:
    Code:
    deny  message = 554 Access denied - $sender_host_address \
          listed by $dnslist_domain ; See http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=$sender_host_address
          dnslists = sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
    No difference so far.
    Around 20 domains, CentOS 3.5, P4 2.4, 512MB ram.

Thanks,
    -Stinky

5. OCX

OCX Well-Known Member

i think rather then removing a good usefull app such as mailscanner and clam ( i got mine set up from chirpys business) the thing i recomend is upgrading your ram.

chirpy informed me before and after that mail scanner can use ram pretty easy
    i have a Dual xeon 2.8 with 1gig DDR2 ram and i get my loads up as well..not to bad..but enuff to notice it a bit..im gonna upgrade my ram as well

also too make sure your other server apps are optimized if something else is eating ram
    and mailscanner / clam is running in the background..of coarse its gonna chew on ur resources

just my 2 cents

OCX

6. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

I have run MS for years with F-Secure Anti Virus and have never had a load problem with 500+ websites on the box. Its not MS that is your problem but something else. Try disabling SPAMD. This is the worst daemon every placed on a server. Talk about useless and talk about being the worst CPU intense rubbish every developed. Once you disable it you will see your loads drop back to normal.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

A few ideas:

1. Make sure no-one in /etc/valiases/* is using :blackhole: and that they are using :fail:

2. Make sure you're also using my exim dictionary attack ACL and it is placed before any inline exim RBL blocks

3. Add bl.spamcop.net to your RBL checking list for better coverage and be sure to empty out the Spam Lists setting in MailScanner.conf and then restart MailScanner, otherwise you're duplicating effort

4. Always ensure that you're running the latest version of MailScanner

5. Make sure spamassassin is running without errors and quickly. To do this if you're using my installer, run:

su mailnull -c "spamassassin --lint -p /usr/mailscanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf" -s /bin/sh

Make sure that you get no errors and that it comes back in a timely manner (say, <5 - 10 seconds).

8. stinky

stinky Member

I don't have SpamAssassin running because I could never get it to run without maxing out the CPU. I believe I've read where you suggest not using SpamAssassin and just use MailScanner. I wasn't aware you could run both together. I'll give SpamAssassin another try. Maybe I can figure it out this time. :)
    I think I've seen some of those tips are on your site and have done that. I'll verify the rest.

Thanks,
    -Stinky

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Don't enable the cPanel SpamAssassin. SpamAssassin can be, and is by default using my installer, enabled within MailScanner to scan emails for spam scoring.

10. fuzioneer

fuzioneer Well-Known Member

when i try to run step 5 of chirpys steps i get the following:-

su mailnull -c "spamassassin --lint -p /usr/mailscanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf" -s /bin/sh

[544] warn: config: failed to parse line, skipping: dcc_path /usr/local/bin/dccproc
    [544] warn: config: failed to parse line, skipping: razor_timeout 10
    [544] warn: lint: 2 issues detected, please rerun with debug enabled for more information

any ideas as mailscanner has started to cause such high loads now and also we are getting kernel panics due to mailscanner ?

11. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Are you running the latest version of MailScanner? If not, then I'd recommend upgrading. If you're using my installer:

wget http://www.configserver.com/free/msinstall.tar.gz
    tar -xzf msinstall.tar.gz
    cd msinstall/
    sh install.sh

Take the default (upgrade) option