Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Remove no longer needed drive

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by Jesse Distad, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Jesse Distad

Jesse Distad Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm hoping this is a no brainer for someone, I just don't want to experiment on a live server and mess it up :)

I have cPanel/WHM running on an AWS EC2 instance, I had originally created a 500GB EBS volume for /home2 and had all user accounts on there. I of course later realized that I need nowhere near 500GB and figured I would save myself $35 a month by using a smaller volume so I created a 150GB volume and mounted that has /home3.

So far so good.

I moved all accounts to /home3 and all was well, I can unmount /home2 and things were fine so I stopped the instance and detached the 500GB volume from the instance and when I went to start the instance it failed to start, that's when I realized I had forgotten to remove the /home2 entry from fstab so I stopped the instance again and reattached the 500GB volume and started the instance, which worked BUT it now had the volumes flipped.. so my 150GB volume was now /home2 and the 500GB volume was /home3 so that was a no go.. I edited fstab to flip those back, rebooted and all is well.. I now want to get rid of that 500GB volume for good.. but I'm leery of doing it incorrectly.

Is there anything about this process that I did wrong other than forgetting to updated fstab prior to stopping the instance and detaching the volume?

Also, is it worth being OCD and wanting the user accounts in /home or am I just being too picky... and if not, can /home be mounted in a different volume on an existing server or is that something that has to happen at initial setup so it would still have to be /home2 ?

thanks in advance :)

2. Jesse Distad

Jesse Distad Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    edit.. I take that back... when I umount /home2 the sites on this server stop working... when sites are moved from /home to /home2 etc using the rearrange accounts feature in cPanel are symlinks created or is everything updated? Why would unmounting an empty volume stop sites that are on a different volume from operating???

3. Jesse Distad

Jesse Distad Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Update for anyone that cares.. I submitted a support ticket and it turns out that php_fpm failed to update it's configuration when the accounts were moved so rebuilding that config fixed my issue.

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    HI @Jesse Distad

Glad to hear you were able to get the issue sorted! Thanks for letting us know how it was resolved.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...