Jesse Distad

Mar 23, 2019
MN, USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm hoping this is a no brainer for someone, I just don't want to experiment on a live server and mess it up :)

I have cPanel/WHM running on an AWS EC2 instance, I had originally created a 500GB EBS volume for /home2 and had all user accounts on there. I of course later realized that I need nowhere near 500GB and figured I would save myself $35 a month by using a smaller volume so I created a 150GB volume and mounted that has /home3.

So far so good.

I moved all accounts to /home3 and all was well, I can unmount /home2 and things were fine so I stopped the instance and detached the 500GB volume from the instance and when I went to start the instance it failed to start, that's when I realized I had forgotten to remove the /home2 entry from fstab so I stopped the instance again and reattached the 500GB volume and started the instance, which worked BUT it now had the volumes flipped.. so my 150GB volume was now /home2 and the 500GB volume was /home3 so that was a no go.. I edited fstab to flip those back, rebooted and all is well.. I now want to get rid of that 500GB volume for good.. but I'm leery of doing it incorrectly.

Is there anything about this process that I did wrong other than forgetting to updated fstab prior to stopping the instance and detaching the volume?

Also, is it worth being OCD and wanting the user accounts in /home or am I just being too picky... and if not, can /home be mounted in a different volume on an existing server or is that something that has to happen at initial setup so it would still have to be /home2 ?

thanks in advance :)

Jesse Distad

Mar 23, 2019
MN, USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
edit.. I take that back... when I umount /home2 the sites on this server stop working... when sites are moved from /home to /home2 etc using the rearrange accounts feature in cPanel are symlinks created or is everything updated? Why would unmounting an empty volume stop sites that are on a different volume from operating???

Jesse Distad

Mar 23, 2019
MN, USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Update for anyone that cares.. I submitted a support ticket and it turns out that php_fpm failed to update it's configuration when the accounts were moved so rebuilding that config fixed my issue.