The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove Outlook Express certificate warning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maggot96, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maggot96

maggot96 Member

Hi,
    I want to be able to have ssl for IMAP and SMTP on my WHM/Cpanel server, so I changed the domain in question to have a dedicated IP, then created a self signed certificate (cannot afford to buy one just now) for both the www.domain.com and straight domain.com
    I then opened Internet Explorer and installed the certificates to avoid the warnings via the browser which worked wonderfully, but I cannot get rid of the warning on Outlook Express. Ive tried creating a certificate for mail.domain.com which WHM wouldn't let me, and then tried to create a certificate for *.domain.com which WHM also would not let me.
    I have also looked into registry edits to just force Outlook Express to not give you the warning, but cannot find anything on the matter.

Is there a way to do this with a "wildcard" certificate or something like that? I assume the problem is caused by outlook wanting to verify mail.domain.com even though I tried changing the incoming server to be www.domain.com still did not help.

Any help on this matter is very much appreciated.

2. PlatinumServerM

PlatinumServerM Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There is only 1 ssl for the mail service and it goes on the hostname. So you have to set your mail server in your email program to your hostname, that way the host you are accessing will match the ssl name.

3. Eric

Eric Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You need to trust the CA that signed your certificate. You can do this by generating a CA cert from your server, or use one of the freebie cert services that do it for many, cacert.org comes to mind. Using one of the services you can help others that use the server not get the same nagging errors.

After that all you need to do is install the CA to the computers that will use the services and you can use outlook warning message free.

#3 Eric, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  4. d_t

d_t Well-Known Member

First, you need a SSL certificate signed by a trusted CA (cacert.org is not recognized by Outlook) If you have multiple servers, you can use a wildcard SSL to secure all of them. Client should put server name as mail server in Outlook instead of it's domain (like server1.example.com)

If you want to use self-signed certificates or cacert.org you need to install the certificate on each client computer.

5. demon2143

demon2143 Registered

Hi, for all thoese who are having problems with certificates when using Outlook 2007 with CPanel see below.

When you are prompted to use the certificate save the certificate to your desktop and double click on it which will launch the certificate wizard. Install the certificae automatically. Make sure that the details in the certificate where is shows who the certificate is issued to is also the same as you are using for the SMTP server for Outlook. So even if you have used another name or IP address for the SMTP server change this for the details in the Issued to: details in the certificate. Also make sure that you are using Port 465 in the Outgoing SMTP port number and that the Encryption is also set to SSL. If the certificate has the correct details then the above should work - famous last works!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.