The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove Paper Lantern

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by PCZero, Jan 25, 2015.

1. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Is there a way to remove or disable paper lantern as an option? I really, really , REALLY hate the look and feel of that UI and I do not want such a (IMHO) kindergarten looking theme associated with my site in any way shape or form. I despise the whole movemnt of a 'flat' UI. It is really difficult to use and looks very unprofessional (again IMHO).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gee Wally I think I need to reword the post above so let me try again...

That new paper lantern theme kind of does not match the image I want to project on my web site. It just is not a good fit for me to present. I know you guys must have worked REALLY hard to design all those images and all, but that current trend to make every thing flat just is not very appealing to me.

PS since posting I did continue to search for a bit longer and after clicking through a few levels of linked threads I found that you can get rid of the option for Paper lantern (WHEW). I actually added a question about removing the Switch Theme combo box (which for me is now unnecessary), but I figured out to do it in WHM.

#1 PCZero, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  2. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Re: Changed theme, can't change it back.

OK so I followed the directions in this thread to not let user select (THE HORRIBLE) paper lantern theme (YUCK). Now that I only allow X3 how do I get rid of the combo box in cPanel that is for switching themes?

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Comments have been merged and moved to your own new thread.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I just wanted to note the following thread is helpful in-case anyone else has a similar question:

Disable use of Paper Lantern Theme

Keep in mind that Paper Lantern is scheduled to become the default theme for cPanel later this year. The following blog post may interest you:

The Retro Style for Paper Lantern arrives with 11.48 | cPanel Blog

Thank you.

5. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Michael, good news about the retro style still being available. There are a LOT of people who really do not like the 'flat' look and feel at all. When you say PL will be the default theme, does that mean that x3 will go away completely and not be an option? I strongly encourage cPanel NOT to make the decision to do that. As far as PL goes, my biggest question at this point will be whether the branding that is available with X3 will still be available with the new scheme. Dropping that would be a HUGE downgrade and damn near a deal breaker as far as using cPanel going forward. I strongly implore the development team to NOT drop X3 until such time that branding is available for any changed UI.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can expect to see it included for legacy use for a period of time, and adequate warning provided before it's completely removed from the product.

Could you elaborate on this question? Have you reviewed the Customize Paper Lantern document?

Thank you.

7. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Thank you for that link Michael. As it was not under the branding option in WHM I had no idea you could do any sort of customization to PL. I will look to see what all that can do. I am hoping that it gives as much functionality as the x3 branding offer (Basically being able to change almost anything on the theme (css, logos, icons, etc). I'd hate to be stuck with the stock PL icons.

8. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

I removed my earlier posts as I discovered the cause of some of the problems. A LOT of the issues with the layout of PL come from the fact that it appears to not like anything but modern browsers. For example the css is broken in IE8 (and yes a lot of people still use that browser and in my experience css can be written that renders correctly in browsers such as it while still working in modern browers).

However I still do not like the limited customization of PL. In x3 I can design as many brands (skin) as you want for your users to select from. I can change any/all of the graphics, icons, css, etc. In PL I can only change the heard logo and add a favicon, but even those I cannot get to display. I go into WHM make the changes click save and it appears that nothing happens other than the save button going disabled. When I go back to the main WHM screen and return to the PL customization, my changes are gone.

Until such time that the limitations of the PL customization are addressed I very strongly encourage you to keep x3 and its full branding functionality. This customization of PL is a big step backwards in usability.

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone tell me here the file is that holds the creation of the PL theme please? I want to change a few things such as change METRIX back to STATS. I prefer to keep things to simple terms that everyone understands.

9. cPanelAdamF

cPanelAdamF cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    We stopped supporting IE8 in September of 2014 when we realized how much supporting older browsers costs us in time and effort. As a result, the rate at which we can deliver new features or important updates to existing features has improved. Read cPanel & WHM Browser Compatibility | cPanel Blog for more.

At present, we show the brand information configured for an Account Owner to an account when they log in. (For example when ExampleUser logs in, if ExampleReseller owns the ExampleUser account, we show them the brand information set by ExampleReseller). This can sometimes cause confusion when the ExampleReseller logs in directly to cpanel :)2083). In this scenario, the system will show the Reseller the brand information from their account owner. If they don't own themselves, they will see their account owners brand information instead.

You may want to try impersonating one of the cPanel accounts under your reseller account, rather than logging into cpanel directly with your reseller account, in order to get the full effect of seeing what they would see upon login.

Internally our technical communication team has been adopting a standard called "Global English" which, among other things, encourages the uses of words which can be translated easier. "Stats" is difficult to translate due to it being a shortened form of another word: "Statistics". In order to improve it's clarity, we moved away from the abbreviation. "Statistics", as a term, refers to the analysis of large amounts of data where as 'Metrics' infers the continuous measurement of data, which is more appropriate for the analysis programs within the group.

If you prefer "Stats", a change in the /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/dynamicui.conf file for Paper Lantern can be made. Look for the line:

#### Group: Metrics ####
    description=>$LANG{'Metrics'},group=>metrics,groupdesc=>$LANG{'Metrics'},grouporder=>5,file=>group_metrics,
    imgtype=>icon,type=>image,subtype=>img,height=>48,width=>48

...and change the value of $LANG{'Metrics'} to $LANG{'Stats'}. I would not suggest changing the file=>group_metrics or group=>metrics values as doing so requires changing those references for all icons within that group.

10. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

1) I understand about the economics involved and that is a reasonable decision. I will bookmark the compatibility thread for reference in the event any customers have questions. Thanks!

2) I don't understand at all what you are saying. First I have no resellers. All accounts are owned by root. In the x3 environment, I can go to WMH - cPanel - Branding - x3 Live Editor. At that point I can build as many custom brands/skins as I want then enable all of them and disable all of the default themes. Quick, easy, end of story. I go into WHM - cPanel Customize Paper lantern and there are extremely limited options for customization and none of the get saved nor do they show up when accounts owned by root log into cPanel. I want to end up with 4-6 different 'skins' that are 100% branded to my logos, icons, etc that my customers can select form in cPanel like I can with x3.

3) I'm not so sure I buy your explanation on this one. IMHO terms that make sense to less technical types are better such that Stats is much preferred to Metrix. You and I know full well what Metrix means, but most people will be looking for a label Stats when they are trying to find (ta da) Stats for their server! :) In any case, if I do make the change back to Stats will it be overwritten on updates? (BTW I applaud your correct us of the word 'infers' rather then the often misused 'implies'.)