The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

removed hard drive, cpanel wont start [moved]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tdw82, Mar 26, 2006.

1. tdw82

tdw82 Member

hello, i remove a hard drive from my server and it wont boot up, it keeps saying there was an error while running file system check, then it says to login or hit control d, witch just reboots the server again, and taking me back to the same spot, can anybody help me please.

Tim

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

What OS are you using? It may be possible to edit the fstab to remove the removed-drive entry. Of course, if part of the OS was on that drive...

3. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You need to put the drive back in the server and once it boots remove the line in

/etc/fstab that mounts that drive.

however if any partition besides the /home partition is located on that drive you may still have issues with the server booting

4. HostMerit

HostMerit Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Can you even get to a kernel screen? If so, hit e and edit the kernel line and add single at the end to boot into single user mode.

If you can get this far, pico /etc/fstab and whatever HD you removed, just add a # to the beginning of that line, so it wont be processed. Or you can change the flags at the end from 1 1 to 0 0 so it's not required to boot. But the first would be cleaner. Just a thought.