Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Removing CGIemail CGIecho Scripts Question

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by LordLiverpool, Nov 8, 2017.

1. LordLiverpool

LordLiverpool Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello cPanel

Sorry in advance for my noob question.

Today when I logged into my server I was greeted by the WHM version 68 feature showcase page. (BTW cPanel thanks for the new updates)

One update caught my eye:

Clean CGI.JPG

That is, the removal of cgiemail and cgiecho. I clicked the more information link and read the notes. And it does seem prudent to remove these pesky critters. So then I read the release notes for WHM68 for further clarification, but received none.

OK so my question is, if I go ahead and choose to remove cgiemail and cgiecho will there be any impact/interruption to my client's email? (They are all using webmail, horde mail and roundcube.)

I apologise for not knowing this, but I don't know the WHM architecture, it's relationships and dependencies etc, hence my question here.

Also had the Clean Cgiemail choice been defaulted to "Enable" then I would have felt more confident about proceeding with the update. But I don't want to blindly click Enable.

Thanks in advance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Removing them will not effect webmail applications or email clients. The cgiemail and cgiecho scripts were available for installation in previous cPanel versions for the purpose of sending email through a form on a website.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    LordLiverpool likes this.
  3. LordLiverpool

LordLiverpool Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael

Thank you for replying and thanks for clearing that up, I will go ahead and delete them.

Best Regards

cPanelMichael likes this.
  4. amjad.q

amjad.q Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If I have installed Roundcube (customer Roundcube not the default with cpanel ) does it will effect ?

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No, Roundcube does not rely on the cgiemail or cgiecho scripts.

Thank you.