The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing CPanel and website Security DDOS Protection??

Discussion in 'Security' started by juliankim, Nov 15, 2012.

1. juliankim

juliankim Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Greetings!
    I'd first like to thank you all for your time and support. as you can tell, I am new here. I aplogize ahead of time if this is in the wrong section.

Now, to the dilemma!

I recently created a website. Like most of us who create a website, it's difficult as it is setting up the domain, host, content, etc.. Well luckily for me, I am almost finished with that. However I am looking towards the future.
    I'm worried that once I receive heavy traffic, I am more prone to hackers and dns root infections. So my question is simple. Do you recommend that I buy a security protection for my website that protects my DDOS? For an example, Black Lotus, level 3, etc?? Does CPanel have their own?

Secondly, is there a way to remove/cpanel from my login page? I believe that would reduce the amount of hackers as well. For an example, if I was to go to any high traffic website and type /cpanel after their domain, it would either relink me to an error page or not show anything. i.e www.domainname.com/cpanel.
    How can I remove my /cpanel or rename it to something I may only know, like a number?

Thank you all once again and for your time.
    Best regards,
    Julian Kim

2. juliankim

juliankim Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Removing CPanel and DDOS Security Protection necessary?

Greetings!
    I'd first like to thank you all for your time and support. as you can tell, I am new here. I aplogize ahead of time if this is in the wrong section.

Now, to the dilemma!

I recently created a website. Like most of us who create a website, it's difficult as it is setting up the domain, host, content, etc.. Well luckily for me, I am almost finished with that. However I am looking towards the future.
    I'm worried that once I receive heavy traffic, I am more prone to hackers and dns root infections. So my question is simple. Do you recommend that I buy a security protection for my website that protects my DDOS? For an example, Black Lotus, level 3, etc?? Does CPanel have their own? Do you believe it is worth it?

Secondly, is there a way to remove/cpanel from my login page? I believe that would reduce the amount of hackers as well. For an example, if I was to go to any high traffic website and type /cpanel after their domain, it would either relink me to an error page or not show anything. i.e www.domainname.com/cpanel.
    How can I remove my /cpanel or rename it to something I may only know, like a number?

Thank you all once again and for your time.
    Best regards,
    Julian Kim

3. tank

tank Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Welcome to Cpanel forums,

This questions will greatly aid in getting this figured out.

Are you a hosting provider or do you have a cpanel account on a company that provides hosting to you? This will determine what is available to you.

To shed some light on DDOS attacks, any one can get an attack but you would need to be targeted by someone. Most people don't just randomly attack sites. Most sites don't get DDOS attacks. That kind of protection is very expensive and it is done most effectively upstream from the server. I personally would not plan on getting a DDOS attack until it happens. Thats just me though.

Second topic,

If you are a user of cpanel and not a hosting provider, it is hard to tell what kind of protection you have from this. Hosting providers that use Cpanel have ways and options of protecting from this sort of thing.

I digress, some clarification from my first question would help me.

Again welcome to the cpanel forums.

4. juliankim

juliankim Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello and thank you for your response!

To answer your first question, I own a cpanel account on a company that provides hosting.
    So I use hostgator as my server/host.

And I would agree on waiting on the dos attack.

So I guess the only question remaining is how to block off my cpanel so that others can not access it.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated!

5. RandallJ

RandallJ Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    1. Use secure passwords
    2. DDOS is not something you are going to be able to control.. (they are very rare for the most part)
    If by chance you do end up with a denial of service attack (dont flatter yourself), your host will be the one dealing with it I would bet..
    3. Use secure passwords
    4. Folder and file permissions: most problems I see are users that leave "write" permissions on folders.. (bad news) While not completely avoidable for some software packages, these folders should be located outside the "public" access areas IMHO.

Oh did I mention use "SECURE" passwords?, you can not block people from seeing your cpanel account but many if not most hosts have software in place that will block password attacks..

So use SECURE PASSWORDS :)

#5 RandallJ, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012