The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

removing nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Rob_Xeno-Tech, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Rob_Xeno-Tech

Rob_Xeno-Tech Member

We're currently in the process of moving from one Cpanel server to another, and when I went to remove the nameservers from the old machine, it gave me the ok that it was removed. However, when I went to 'manage nameserver ips' the nameservers I had just removed were stil there! I finally settled with manually changing the zone just so I could migrate the nameservers to the new machine, but I was curious as to why it would not remove them for me.

2. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

All you really need to edit for the nameserver IPs are the child nameservers setup with your registrar, and the A records in the DNS zone for your IP. You don't actually need to uninstall them, and the IPs that are listed in WHM for nameservers are just in a file which is used to show them on the account creation script. Doesn't matter what those are set to.

3. Rob_Xeno-Tech

Rob_Xeno-Tech Member

Bah, scratch that.....I did say we had everything working...but:

First, let me go into detail what we're doing. We're upgrading to a bigger/faster server, which is also running cpanel. The method I've used in the past to migrate from one cpanel server to another is to move all the accounts, then update the nameservers (ns1.xeno-technologies.com, and ns2.xeno-technologies.com) ips to reflect the new machine. Bingo, no outages.

This time, I moved everyones accounts, but the new cpanel server required me to setup nameservers first. Instead of creating a DNS cluster, as I should have done, I simply set the dns servers to ns3 and ns4. I moved all the accounts, then deleted ns1 and ns2 from the old machine, updated ns1 and ns2 at our registrar, then dropped ns3 and ns4 from our new server, and added ns1 and ns2.

But for some reason, ns1 and ns2 are still resolving to the old server. Am I just being impatient? Or have I missed something?

I'm actually not feeling too well right now anyways, so the cold medicine has probably caused me to miss something completely obvious. Thanks in advance for any advice/help :)

#3 Rob_Xeno-Tech, Jun 17, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  4. Rob_Xeno-Tech

Rob_Xeno-Tech Member

bump, anyone?

5. awibble

awibble Member

Last time i upgraded a server, I changed the name server IP's at the registra, and just waited. Then it startde resolving to the right server.