The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renaming a domain in WHM / cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iSumitG, Apr 15, 2012.

1. iSumitG

iSumitG Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi All,

I created a domain xyz.com (say for example) in WHM and put my website there. My website is running fine.
    Now I want to change the domain name of that account, i.e. from xyz.com to abc.com. I am having following questions, please help.

1. How to change a domain name without affecting the content of the website?

2. Are there any disadvantages if I go to Main >> Account Functions >> Modify An Account and change the domain from xyz.com to abc.com? What will happen in this case? My emails and databases from xyz.com and other settings will be preserved or not? Are there any other impacts?

Note: Assuming that both xyz.com and abc.com points to same hosting server with only one IP address.

#1 iSumitG, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. m8internet

m8internet Member

It will almost certainly affect the website, if absolute URLs are used, then all of these will need to be changed
    There are then the email accounts, and any associated settings, which may need to be amended
    If there are any cronjobs, these too may need to be amended

When performing these requests for customers I add the new Domain Name first
    I then go back and swap the new Domain name to the primary Domain Name
    I then delete the original Domain Name

This does however mean the account username remains the same and in the format of the original Domain Name
    I therefore ask the customer, before commecing the change, if they also want the username changed

3. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

If you keep the username same for new domain name then I think all the other settings will automatically be changed by cPanel. No other settings need to be changed.