The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renme/Disable Root accout cpanel.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrVonn, Mar 12, 2012.

1. MrVonn

MrVonn Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I understand "root" is linux admin name, but i am not trying to change it or permissions.
    But i think its really security flaw to have "root" user name for whm/cpanel. There should be way to bind root user to other name and when you login with it it will still consider root, i bet its easy to do in cpanel.
    Is this functionality there already to disable root when you go to http://site.com/whm?

e.g. in CentOS you can disable root login, but to gain root you need to type "su -" after user login.

2. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well with cPanel and WHM, you cannot disable the root username. Its just not possible without modifying the cPanel software itself to my knowledge.

But you can disable root login for ssh and add a wheel group user? If that is what you are trying to do, I can see what I can do to help.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel does not allow root user to log into it. You must use a cPanel account username rather than root. WHM allows the root user login, but cPanel on ports 2082 and 2083 does not.